need help building my first SPS aquapod

clownfool

Reefing newb
I am going to start a new SPS only tank with the amount of $$$ I have.
I will be getting the new tank in about 2-3 months.
I have my mind set on the 24g aquapod with HQI 150w MH.
I was wondering if I will need a calcium reactor for the tank once I have a good amount of SPS? I read that I need at least 4inches of sand in the tank to keep the sand from being a nutrient sponge. I plan on having at least 20lbs of live rock. I don't know what brand double end MH bulb comes with the stock lamp, so I plan on buying a new mh bulb from the start and just save the stock mh bulb for an emergency. What 150w MH DE bulb do you recommend? I like my MH bulb to have a lot of blue coloring, but want good SPS growth, so I cant decide if I want 20K, 14K, or 10K. I wanted a anthias for my only fish in my tank, but after reading about them, I have decided it would require too much food and raise the nutrient level, plus the tank will be too small for the anthias, so I decided I want just one colorful fairy wrasse. I am wondering if I will need a chiller( I was thinking about the Pacific Coast GenX CL-150 Micro Aquarium Chiller/Heater) Then I wouldn't have to worry about heating or cooling but the website said 10 degree cooling up to 22 gallons. (assuming the ambient air temp. is below 85 degrees). Not recommended for tanks using metal halides.

marineandreef.com/ Pacific Coast Imports Aquarium Chillers

I am also considering using the CPR Aquafuge medium Hang-on Back Refugium W/Pump and Protein skimmer.
The aquapod is 20inches wide, the cpr 19inches wide. so that would be a good fit.

So that is what I am considering for my new aquarium. As you can read I am taking my time to do all my homework so I am not hitting my head into the wall by not taking my time to reserch all options.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome so let me know what you think.

tank_pictures_008.jpg

Back