Need help fast! Nitrites!

dcoar

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, So I am thinking that I may have problem in my tank. Has been up for exactly a month as of tomorrow and I was told by my LFS about two weeks ago that my tank had cycled. So I went out and bought a pair of clowns and had no problem. Then about 5 days later bought a frog spawn and got a free frag of star polyps. I put all of this in there and I found a clown goby dead that I added the day before. After I added all of this my water turned cloudy, A white haze, and now I have Nitrites reading at 2 ppm. What do I do?

I Would do a Water change and add some carbon. Also might want to use some Prime in the tank so that it can detoxify any of the bad stuff like ammonia Nitrite and nitrates. That way your fish might make it.

What are all your parameters ??

Temp
Salinity
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ammonia

PH
Ca.
Mg.
Kh.

???

I keep going to my LFS to get my stuff tested, so I am going off of what they are telling me. I have already done a 20% water change about 3 or 4 days ago and I added some prime today. My parameters as follows:

Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.025
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: They said I have some but didn't say anything else
Ammonia : Was the same as the Nitrate

I don't know how to test rest yet... I am going to go and buy test tomorrow to get those.

White cloudiness in a new tank is usually a bacterial bloom. Please take your livestock back to your LFS until your tank has fully cycled.

Yeah Get the saltwater mast test kit from API that will work for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates along with PH, But dont bother with there Ca. it sucks.

It sounds like you have a nother Cycle going or you never finished your cycle to begin with. The prime will help for the fish but the corals im not sure.

What lights are you using ???

A cycle can sometimes take longer than a month. How did you cycle the tank ??

+ 1 Erin, If you can take them back then do so. Or if you have someone that you know close to you that has a Reef tank and can take your stuff in for the time being.

I have dual t5 light on it and... Everything seems to be doing fine in the tank. The frog spawn is growing and the clowns are very active... I am really confused on it... To cycle the tank I started normally. I added 20lbs of live sand and 30 lbs of live rock.

My LFS showed me something that said it could help cycle a tank in 24 to 48 hours. Its called one and only. Idk much about it so that's why I asked.

Nah none of that stuff really works. But if you said you used live sand and live rock that would have started the cycle. Now the live rock was live from your LFS or shipped ???

if you have nitrates that means the cycle is almost ending. Just do another water change and run carbon.

To help clear the tank.

Dr. Tim's One and Only.

If you used it a month ago and you have the white cloudiness then it did not work.

Again, even if the clowns look fine to you, if you have readable ammonia then they are literally swimming and breathing poison.

the orime will help Detoxify the ammonia and all that stuff. But it seems like your still in the cycle.

Cycle starts with Ammonia spike, Then nitrite goes up and ammonia will go down a bit then Nitartes show up. Ones ammonia and Nitrite disapear then your cycle is done. Thats when you do a water change and add your first fish. You can have reading on all 3 durring a cycle but not till ammonia and nitrite are at 0 is it done.

I think you were fine up until you added that 3rd fish, but your tank still wasn't established enough. Unlike freshwater, you have to stock slowly with saltwater, and stocking too fast probably kick started the cycle again. The best thing at this point is to do regular water changes every few days, and it probably won't be a bad idea to add some more Dr Tim's. Good luck, and remember to take it slowly.

I added the goby maybe 4 days after adding the pair of clowns... I agree with everyone when I think I started the cycle again... I am going to do another water change here in the next few days probably 25 - 30% unless you guys think I need more... Thanks for the help will keep you updated.

Back