Need help finding a clown hosting coral

krazydy

Reefing newb
Hi. I have a 12G Nano cube with 2 clowns thats been running for the past 8 months no problem. My ligthing is a metal halide 70W 20k K2-Viper. Upgraded tanks powerhead to maxi-jet 900. what i need to know is what corals do you out there recomend for my clowns to host with? :question:

The thing is I'm trying to not have to get an anemone. I've heard that is best to not have anemones is tanks with corals so i was trying to find something that the clowns would hopefully host with that would be a coral.

bubble coral, hairy mushrooms, frogspawn, torch coral, long tentacle plate coral these are different corals i have heard of and seen in pictures with clowns hosting all can live well in your nano since you have viper metal halides. Dont know how healthy it is for corals though cause my clown i think likes my anenome to much rubbing around in it a couple of time i thought i was going to lose it cause clown wouldn't leave it alone, but hairy mushrooms can handle it and they kinda are like an anenome and can get 3 to 4 inches in diameter.

IM000657.JPG

these are mine not fully opened though older pic of them now you can't see rock cause they are alot bigger and open up more

My clown hosts to a large spaghetti coral I have. The coral doesn't seem to mind at all. It took the coral a week or 2 to get used to it but is fine with it now.

I also would disagree about not having an anemone in a tank with corals once the anemone finds the spot it likes it will stay there and be happy as long as nothing major changes in the tank and then you place your corals out of harms way.

my radiata lionfish hosts in my toadstool leather - kinda funny :bounce: . I have three BTA's and they don't bother the LPS that are right next to them. I happen to love the symbotic relationship that clowns and BTA have. It is up to you. I would go with a fuzzy mushroom, when I added my BTA alst year, the clown was confused and hosted in my flower pot and killed it - stayed retracted all day. Good luck.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

2 months later and this thread is still alive? Love this Forum. Thanks for the response. around X-mas i ended up buying a leather toadstool wich for the last 3 weeks or so began hostimg my clowns. Now I have a Beautiful mint green with white tips LTA I bought last week & could not pass up since I've never seen it in that color. Since the anemone found a spot it seems to like and stayed ther for 2 days now. Will my clown move to the Anemone since really thats its natural host and how long might it take?

Last edited:
It may or it may not Ive seen both sides housed and never host and housed and within minutes there all in it so really you cant tell.

My old tank had a fox coral that was home to a pair of maroon clowns. It did take a week or so for the coral to get used to them though.

Back