Need help/guidance

benga

Reefing newb
I need a list of stuff to get. I'm looking at this filter, but i don't know if it will work well in a saltwater aquarium. I know i need live sand, live rock, salt, distilled water, hydrometer, air stones.
I get lost when it comes to protein skimmer, Lighting, and supplements.
Can you guys recommend me a bunch of stuff to get preferably from amazon?
Any questions please ask.

What size is your tank ?

You will need appropriate lighting for the stock you attempt to keep. Fish or corals? or both? What kind of corals?

Air stones are a no, normal filters are a no

Dry rock with one live rock piece
Dry argonite sand
Salt - premixed salt water from LFR is best
Do not get a hydrometer. Get a refractometer. They are more accurate.
Protein skimmer is needed depending on tank size and if you have a sump
Sump is a tank in your stand plumbed to your main display

Provide more information on the fish / corals you want to keep and tank size and setup and we can provide more information.

Don't worry about supplements until you know what you need a supplement for

What size is your tank ?

You will need appropriate lighting for the stock you attempt to keep. Fish or corals? or both? What kind of corals?

Air stones are a no, normal filters are a no

Dry rock with one live rock piece
Dry argonite sand
Salt - premixed salt water from LFR is best
Do not get a hydrometer. Get a refractometer. They are more accurate.
Protein skimmer is needed depending on tank size and if you have a sump
Sump is a tank in your stand plumbed to your main display

Provide more information on the fish / corals you want to keep and tank size and setup and we can provide more information.

Don't worry about supplements until you know what you need a supplement for

50 gallon.
I'm looking for both coral and fish.
I'm very new to all this, i'm looking to get soft corals if that answers "what kind of coral?"

Got it no air stones, What type of filter should i use?

What is LFR?
I don't have a sump, so would i be getting a protein skimmer?
Do you think you can recommend me products through amazon? the one's that i can get at least, especially light bulbs.

You do not need any sort of mechanical filtration at all. The live rock will be your primary filtration system in the tank. It will process most waste for you. Therefore, no need to buy any filter.

He meant "LFS" which stands for Local Fish Store. I tend to disagree with buying premixed water from the LFS, though, unless you know exactly how it is mixed or where it comes from. Mixing your own water allows you to precisely control the contents and makes me personally feel a little better.

A good protein skimmer is a fantastic addition to any SW tank in my opinion, but it is not necessary. Many people have ran successful reef aquariums without a skimmer....but skimming does make things easier for us and allows us to feed a little more regularly and gives a little bit extra room for minor mistakes in my opinion.
Most people highly recommend the Reef Octopus skimmers. Get one that is rated for a few times your tank volume. Since you don't have a sump you'll want to look for a hang-on-back (or "HOB") style skimmer. This is what I have (I have an AquaC Remora).

As for lights...there are MANY options. If you hope to keep corals, you will need powerful lighting. Depending on the dimensions of your tank, this is likely to be the biggest investment.
There are three main types of reef lighting:
1. Metal Halide is a tried and true way to light a reef tank. Many people like the colors of their corals under MH lighting. The drawbacks, though, are that the bulbs don't last that long, the power consumption (and associated costs) are high, and they produce a significant amount of heat (enough to raise the temperature in the tank, which isn't optimal).
2. T5 or VHO bulbs. This is probably the cheapest option of the three. Many people go with this option because of the costs, but you'll need to find a quality fixture and then purchase some quality bulbs....which have to be replaced (I believe around once every 6-8 months) fairly often. These get hot but not nearly as hot as MH lights.
3. LEDs are the new wave of reef lighting. The technology remains in a middle state (was in its infancy a couple years ago), but it is promising. I use LEDs on my tank. It is the most expensive option typically, but that initial investment is usually realized over time when you consider that the LEDs have at least 50,000 hours of life, consume very little power and do not produce a lot of heat. They're also available in many different wavelengths, can sometimes be programmed with cool effects like cloud cover and storms, etc.
Some quality LEDs would be the AI Sol, EcoTech Marine Radions, Kessil A350w.
Alternatively, if you are so inclined, you can build your own LED lighting fixture. There are many guides on this and other sites to do this and it is the most cost-effective way of doing it.

Your first step in setting up this tank should be RESEARCH. Make sure you read the guides on here about cycling your tank (and don't skip steps.....it will end up costing you. Guaranteed.). Research as much information as you can and keep asking questions. :) Good luck!

You do not need any sort of mechanical filtration at all. The live rock will be your primary filtration system in the tank. It will process most waste for you. Therefore, no need to buy any filter.

He meant "LFS" which stands for Local Fish Store. I tend to disagree with buying premixed water from the LFS, though, unless you know exactly how it is mixed or where it comes from. Mixing your own water allows you to precisely control the contents and makes me personally feel a little better.

A good protein skimmer is a fantastic addition to any SW tank in my opinion, but it is not necessary. Many people have ran successful reef aquariums without a skimmer....but skimming does make things easier for us and allows us to feed a little more regularly and gives a little bit extra room for minor mistakes in my opinion.
Most people highly recommend the Reef Octopus skimmers. Get one that is rated for a few times your tank volume. Since you don't have a sump you'll want to look for a hang-on-back (or "HOB") style skimmer. This is what I have (I have an AquaC Remora).

As for lights...there are MANY options. If you hope to keep corals, you will need powerful lighting. Depending on the dimensions of your tank, this is likely to be the biggest investment.
There are three main types of reef lighting:
1. Metal Halide is a tried and true way to light a reef tank. Many people like the colors of their corals under MH lighting. The drawbacks, though, are that the bulbs don't last that long, the power consumption (and associated costs) are high, and they produce a significant amount of heat (enough to raise the temperature in the tank, which isn't optimal).
2. T5 or VHO bulbs. This is probably the cheapest option of the three. Many people go with this option because of the costs, but you'll need to find a quality fixture and then purchase some quality bulbs....which have to be replaced (I believe around once every 6-8 months) fairly often. These get hot but not nearly as hot as MH lights.
3. LEDs are the new wave of reef lighting. The technology remains in a middle state (was in its infancy a couple years ago), but it is promising. I use LEDs on my tank. It is the most expensive option typically, but that initial investment is usually realized over time when you consider that the LEDs have at least 50,000 hours of life, consume very little power and do not produce a lot of heat. They're also available in many different wavelengths, can sometimes be programmed with cool effects like cloud cover and storms, etc.
Some quality LEDs would be the AI Sol, EcoTech Marine Radions, Kessil A350w.
Alternatively, if you are so inclined, you can build your own LED lighting fixture. There are many guides on this and other sites to do this and it is the most cost-effective way of doing it.

Your first step in setting up this tank should be RESEARCH. Make sure you read the guides on here about cycling your tank (and don't skip steps.....it will end up costing you. Guaranteed.). Research as much information as you can and keep asking questions. :) Good luck!

Dimensions are Length 48.5'' Depth 15.5'' Height 16.5'' so it's actually 53G if you do the math but i round it to 50G

So the live rock would be able to filter actual fish poop as well? i dont want that stuff to settle on the bottom that's why.
I'll check out my LFS and see what they have after i do more research on the mixing.

I'm looking at a powerhead right now online and it's 1050gph, would that suffice, and would that pretty much be how the circulation would work?[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Evolution-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036RXO3O/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1348768369&sr=1-2&keywords=powerhead]Amazon.com: Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 750 gph: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Would this lighting be fine? It comes with (2) 65W fluorescent white daylight lamps, (2) x 65W actinic blue lamps and (8) blue moon LED lights
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/260w-Aquarium-Light-Reef-Marine/dp/B004OOMXFI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1348767909&sr=8-11&keywords=48+inch+saltwater+light]Amazon.com: 48" 260w Pl Aquarium Light Reef Marine Fish Tank Hood Light: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Also should i get all my plants from LFS and never online?

Dimensions are Length 48.5'' Depth 15.5'' Height 16.5'' so it's actually 53G if you do the math but i round it to 50G

So the live rock would be able to filter actual fish poop as well? i dont want that stuff to settle on the bottom that's why.

You should get a "clean up crew" consisting of snails, shrimps, and crabs. They will be the ones that will keep your sand and rocks clean.

I'll check out my LFS and see what they have after i do more research on the mixing.

I'm looking at a powerhead right now online and it's 1050gph, would that suffice, and would that pretty much be how the circulation would work?Amazon.com: Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 750 gph: Pet Supplies

You want the water in your tank to be turned over 20-40x an hour. So you would be good with that one powerhead, but the majority of us break it up into several smalled ones.

Would this lighting be fine? It comes with (2) 65W fluorescent white daylight lamps, (2) x 65W actinic blue lamps and (8) blue moon LED lights
Amazon.com: 48" 260w Pl Aquarium Light Reef Marine Fish Tank Hood Light: Pet Supplies

Those look like compact florescent bulbs. I would stick with T-5's. A six bulb fixture would allow you to keep anything you wanted.

Also should i get all my plants from LFS and never online?

By plants do you mean corals? There are several very reputable online dealers. Many of us have ordered corals online.

Above in red. :)

Yes, do not get PC lighting. It's not very strong and is not used in the hobby much anymore. It's old technology.

The three standard types of lighting currently are T5s, metal halide and LEDs.

Two or three powerheads should add up to at LEAST 1000gph. I'd shoot for somewhere between 1000-2000gph.

I'd check craigslist. I don't think you'll be able to find anything new at that price.
Maybe someone else will chime in.

Back