need help, high nitrates

2XAl

Salt Addict
hi all,
first thread on here, sorry for the length. i have been doing 10-15% water changes in my 55 regularly and aside from an algae bloom that was entirely my fault all has been well. this weekend after a wc ammonia was 0, nitrites at 0, ph 8.2, temp 76, nitrates about 10, sg at 1.024. I added some nitrate reducer, per the bottle instructions, to try and get them down even lower. Last night just for kicks to see how the reducer was working i checked my nitrates again, this time they were up to 20. :frustrat: I did another 5 gal water changes and tested all again tonight. Nitrates are up to 40, all other levels are the same. i didnt feed today just so i wasnt overloiading the bacteria. stock list is as follows:

-50-60# of live rock
-2 nemos
-1 watchman goby
-1 pygmy angel
-1 yellow wrasse
-6 turbos
-6 smaller turboish snails
-2 cleaner shrimp
-8-12 nassarius snails
- brittle star
-dozen random hermits

lighting:
2 actinic bulbs on at 10a off at 9p
150w metal halide on 11:30a off 7:30p
led moonlights
MH bulb and ballast were both replaced within 4 months
actinics are unfortunately almost 2 years old but as i understand they dont degrade as quickly.

thanks in advance, ironically my fish and corals have never looked better but Im trying to keep it that way

What is the name of the additive you are using to try to reduce nitrates? I've tried a few along the way, and the only one I found that actually works is Marine SAT. Some of them just killed everything in my tank!

What testing kit are you using? You might want to take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it too.

Are all the animals accounted for? Spikes like that are usually from over-feeding or something dieing in the tank and not getting removed by the cuc.

probably 2 months ago, every weekly wc and i forgot 2 weeks. thanks Kizmar re the water chem kit. Im thinking about heading to the LFS in the morning before work. I was doubting the kit i had so I bought a new one, although the same brand, which game identical results. hopefully Im doing it wrong

the water itself isnt extremely dirty, the foam and the buildup inside the tube to the tank is very thick and slimy though

The stuff gathering in the skimmer should be dark tea colored (unless there's some other foaming agent present like new sand). That might need to be adjusted to perform optimally.

Back