need help I.D. anyone?

So my tank has been running for well over a year now, everything was going great until the dreaded hair algae bloom. I was plucking away on one of my rocks and saw something that startled me lol. need alittle help, can anyone tell me what the heck this thing is please.

Attachments

• idunno.jpg
    idunno.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 343
:bounce:i will upload a full pic of the rock . it was a pretty penny also . the rock just so happen to be full of algae spores..freaking pet store swore up and down it was cycled. that's why i have been battling hair algae for the past month! so i took it out completely stripped it and going to cycle it myself.

Attachments

• liverock.jpg
    liverock.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 330
i have no idea. it is heavy , i would say 10-15 lbs. im going to set up a ten gal. to cycle it in. how long do you think i should let it cycle?

I would give it a month if it were me....but, is it going into an established tank? if so, why are you cycling it, just needs to be soaked clean...

i didnt feel like srubbing all the algae off so i took it the power washer to it. wasnt sure if i would need to cycle it again. yes the tank has been running for over a year and a half.

If you washed it off real good then I would do a few days in new RO/DI water then add it to the existing tank....the rock that is in the tank will cycle it out....maybe do a couple of rounds of RO/DI soak....that will just help get any remaining nutrients out of it....

Some I know even soak them in preoxide or chlorine but I don't go to those extremes....

Back