Need help identifuing pipe on new Wet/dry

stringztoo

Reefing newb
I'm not really new to reefing, but the last tank I had was a 36 gallon about 5 years ago. I recently bought a used pre-drilled 72 gallon bow front with skimmer and wet dry filter. It looked to be custom altered because some of the piping I didn't identify. Can you help me out identifying what it's for and where it goes? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2011-03-21_12-23-42_497.jpg
    2011-03-21_12-23-42_497.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 423
  • 2011-03-21_12-24-06_384.jpg
    2011-03-21_12-24-06_384.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 2011-03-21_12-23-53_760.jpg
    2011-03-21_12-23-53_760.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 441
  • 2011-03-21_12-24-16_124.jpg
    2011-03-21_12-24-16_124.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 463
I can't help you ID the pipe... but welcome to the site!

You should also get rid of the bioballs... they trap detritus and unless you clean them very regularly (like every couple days) they will be detrimental to your water quality.

Bioballs are a necessity when using a biological filter and growing necessary bacteria for the tank... Here's a diagram of what have

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,786
They actually are not. Your biological filter will be your live rock and sand.
Bioballs trap the bigger chunks of stuff, and when you don't clean them it, it decomposes and releases ammonia back into the tank.
I had a wet/dry filter for about a year before I got a better skimmer. Now I have a skimmer and a refugium. You should take the bioballs out and add some live rock and chaeto to your sump.

I've always had good luck with my wet dry bioballs but I will give it some thought. At the moment I need to identify and set up the filter/skimmer

It appears like you have the skimmer hooked up to the sump. The extra ball valve assembly I am assuming is connected to the return pump to regulate the flow back into the tank.

And Erin is right. Your live rock is your biological filtration. Bio-balls are much better suited for a fresh water set up. You would be much better off ditching them and putting in the live rock rubble and chaeto as she suggested. This will also host a place for your pods to breed, and get pushed back into the tank.

I assume this is an out-of-sump skimmer? Unfortunately the manufacturer hasn't replied back to my email and searching online didn't get much. I'm trying to identify where each of those green tubes goes on the skimmer as well as what plugs into the pipe on the side of the skimmer. The return pump obviously goes in the sump to return back up through the pre-drilled holes above it.

Of course the previous owner just paid someone to install it, he was never informed HOW the thing ran!

Attachments

• 2011-03-21_13-56-10_754.jpg
    2011-03-21_13-56-10_754.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 470
  • 2011-03-21_13-56-40_749.jpg
    2011-03-21_13-56-40_749.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 636
Who is the manufacturer of the skimmer. You definitely need a pump to drive it, as well as a return pump to deliver water from your sump back to your display tank.

Hello what you have is an MTC Pro 4500 airlift skimmer there should be and air stone preferably a limewood air stone attached to the small rigid tube that runs down the middle of the skimmer which will need to be replaced on a monthly basis minimum.water flows into the top green hose via an ehiem 1048 pump pump or similar device.as water is falling through the skimmer to drain out the bottom tube back into the sump.The air flow from the lime wood air stone is lifting the debris in the form of foam.the container on the left is a waste collector for the skimate.What you have is old school technology but still works great aslong as you don't mind changing the air stones everymonth for the best efficiency.If i did not explain this easily enough for you to understand send a P.M. will give you my number.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site! Air stone skimmers are older technology, but will work if you keep up with maintaining them.

And I agree with the others -- ditch the bioballs. They usually don't work out well in reef systems, as they can lead to high nitrates. Instead get 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon for your display tank.

Hello what you have is an MTC Pro 4500 airlift skimmer there should be and air stone preferably a limewood air stone attached to the small rigid tube that runs down the middle of the skimmer which will need to be replaced on a monthly basis minimum.water flows into the top green hose via an ehiem 1048 pump pump or similar device.as water is falling through the skimmer to drain out the bottom tube back into the sump.The air flow from the lime wood air stone is lifting the debris in the form of foam.the container on the left is a waste collector for the skimate.What you have is old school technology but still works great aslong as you don't mind changing the air stones everymonth for the best efficiency.If i did not explain this easily enough for you to understand send a P.M. will give you my number.

Here's what confuses me:

I'm pulling water from the sump via the (as yet unpurchased) ehiem 1048 pump which is pumping that "dirty water" from the sump into the skimmer. The skimmer then skims the water and the lower tube is where the water flows out to. And that hose is connected to the pipe on the side of my sump where the nozzle is... yet that "clean water" coming in from the skimmer is being poured back in to the sump, mixing with the "dirty water". I am right about this?

Well, bought my pumps today for my return and skimmer. A 600 gph for the return and a 300 gph for the skimmer. Also bought the salt and live sand. Tomorrow comes the live rock and the lfs pretty much convinced me to ditch the bio balls for a few live rocks. Looking forward to setting this up tonight.

Well, bought my pumps today for my return and skimmer. A 600 gph for the return and a 300 gph for the skimmer. Also bought the salt and live sand. Tomorrow comes the live rock and the lfs pretty much convinced me to ditch the bio balls for a few live rocks. Looking forward to setting this up tonight.
Hello kool glad you are progressing.I would have gone like 750 to 900 gph for display.and really would have gotten the the ehiem for the skimmer that skimmer needs to run at constant volume but if i remember right 300 gph maybe a little to much for that unit

Back