Need Help neighbor caught fish from easteren shore

supernatureal

Reefing newb
Can Anyone help id this fish. My neighbors caught a fish at the shore and brought it home along with a seahorse. The Seahorse can not eat because this fish eats everything to fast. I have the fish now in quarantine until I can figure out what to do with it. Need to know what it is first.

Thank You

Attachments

• P1010783.JPG
    P1010783.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 512
  • P1010784.JPG
    P1010784.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 588
  • P1010786.JPG
    P1010786.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 437
  • P1010788.JPG
    P1010788.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 529
I don't know what kind of fish that is... But seahorses are endangered species. It is illegal to take them. And doing so contributes to the faster depletion of an animal that's vanishing in the wild. Your neighbor kinda sucks. :(

They are not mine When I get a chance to take the fish Back I will but they have the seahorse. When They got it it wasn't doing very good. I know that is not an excuse. I am just saying. Was just wondering what kind of fish it was.

Yeah I know it's not yours. I wasn't blaming you at all. I don't have a clue about the fish though -- it's not tropical if it came from MD.

Yea, just touch the water where it came from and you know what kind of temperature they would need to live in. Not gonna be able to go with your existing tank.

Touch that fish on its forehead and you'll find out what it is.:mrgreen:
I dont what the real name is,but we call em needle heads at the LFS.
If either it or the seahorse has been in contact with fish,corals,rock,or inverts in your or your neighbors tanks,then you CAN NOT release them.

The reason you dont want to release it back is because there might be deseases or parasites in the tanks that are not from the area. The local population could be decimated if it doesnt have an immunity for the disease or a predetor for the parasite.

So Yote if it was then what can I do with the fish. He was in my neighbors fish tank.

Well, if it can't be released what do you think you should do with it?

Personally, I think since you or your neighbor took it out of it's natural habitat you should first find out what it is, what it eats, and how to care for it, buy a 300g tank (because at this point we have no idea how big it will get), and try to make it as comfortable as possible. Or you could flush it down the toilet.

Sorry for the attitude but unless you're 7 years old, you should really know better.

Why is everyone getting made at me. I DID NOT CATCH THE FISH. I am trying to find out information on it is all and what to do with it. I don't like to see them suffer or dead.

On another note. Yote and bjhanson thank you I don't know why I didn't think about that. I don't know why I did not think about that reason to release it (ie. parasites or disease). I guess everyone being made at me for something I didn't do and trying to make the best of the situation I forgot the same reasons I don't want to put it in my tank are the same reasons not to release it back into the ocean.

Last edited:
Personally,I'd give it a vodka bath.Unless of course one of y'all wants to set up a tank for it and give it a shot.

What would a vodka bath do for it but maybe kill it.
yup.

I would either give it back to your neighbor, lol. or keep it in your quarantine. GL getting it to eat though that would be the hard part imo. If you can get it to eat, then he might just be happy being fed every day ;) hard to tell. Maybe he will grow up nice and provide you with a nice dinner some day =P

Back