need help picking a clean up crew

hart.thomas

Reefing newb
hi so if anyone has seen my posts ive never really had very good luck with this. right now we have no fish we have like 6 BIG blue legged hermits about 5 times bigger than the tiny ones u buy at the store. and a coral banded shrimp that is maybe 2 or 3 inches long and thats it. we have a cyano and green hair algea outbreak that wont go away ive tried no lights and almost no feeding whatso ever and cleaning eveything and still nothing works.

im thinking about buying a uv sterilizer and a bigger cleanup crew to solve the problem. but i need help figuring out what to get. i was to do the build your own clean up crew from liveaquaria and will either add a uv sterilizer or buy one from amazon or the local petsmart. heres the website with the invertibrates i have to choose from i only want things that wont kill each other or any fish i get. Easy Buy Bundles - Build Your Own Reef Cleaner Package

also my take is a 39 gallon cube tank theres a few small rocks on the ground and a kind of rock wall going up in the back so i have a good amount of live rock. theres a layer of about 2 inch of black and white not fine grain sand but one step up from that and then theres another 2 inches id guess of fine grain sand ontop of that. what should i get?????also my hermit crabs seem to like to eat smaller hermits.

Check out Reef Cleaners| Clean up Crews and Macroalgae to get a package deal. They have better packages than Live Aquaria, IMO.

I would get rid of the hermits and instead buy a bunch of different snails. You will have problems keeping a CUC as long as you have killer hermits. :)

ill have to look at that i wasnt sure where to get it. and i just learned my hermits can live outside the water? if so ill make a half water half land little tank for them and take them out of the tank. but what do i get?

It does seem like a bit much. I would start out with a smaller CUC maybe a 20g size and then add if you need more.

im not good at waiting lol so i bought the own i posted before i saw your posts. hopefully its not to much. and can i really take my blue legged hermits out of the water? and would a 3 gallon with some rocks be good enough for 6 large hermits?

also i purchased the package without the hermits instead of with. i dont trust hermits they like to each stuff they shouldnt.

Last edited:
The number one mistake most folks make with CUC, is adding to many to quick. Add those a few at time until you have just enough to keep up with the task.

Back