Need help setting up 55!

JFAC96

Reefing newb
Im completely new to saltwater. i have a 55 gallon with a 400 skilter filter with a protein skimmer. I also have a 200w heater. I am extremely experienced keeping cichlids but new to salt. I just would like to know what else i need and what fish would be good to start out. I would like just fish and live rock. the tap water ph is 8.2 where i am and i know i have to use dechlorinator. Thanks for all the comments.

ok well i just have a few Questions
are you goin to have a sump?

what substrate are you goin to use?

the filter is rated at 100 gallons are you going to bring another filter in the mix?

as far as a stater fish use green chromis like 3 or 4 of them. or 2 clowns.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! There are way more experienced people on this forum than me and I'm sure they will chime in as well.

The main source of your filtration for a saltwater aquarium comes from your live rock. A good skimmer and plenty of live rock will serve you well. You will want to stay away from most freshwater type filters such as hang on the back or canister filters because these cause poor water quality in a saltwater aquarium.

Your source of water is also very important in a marine aquarium. Unlike with freshwater where tap water works fine, you will want to use ro/di water either from your LFS or through your own ro/di system. This can help you avoid major headaches with algae in the future. There are just too many unknown things in tap water that can spell disaster for your tank.

As far as fish go there are plenty of great fish out there that are pretty easy to care for and hardy. Clownfish are always a favorite in the hobby and my own personal favorite is the Royal Gramma. Just be sure to research any potential fish and ask questions about them if you have them. Remember not to add fish too quickly when it comes time. Only add about 1 fish a month unless it is a pair like 2 clowns. Also only keep about 1 fish for every 10 gallons of water. This is a good rule of thumb to avoid over stocking.

I look forward to seeing your tank progress!

Back