Need help starting again

Dwhitt1981

Reefing newb
Well my wife is finally onboard with the SW tanks again. This will not be my first tank I a 55 gal SW for about 1yr. I had a time with it:frustrat: . A home based fish shop helped me with it long story.So my problem is that I have a 10 gal I can start with in a few weeks for a small reef. Or should I wait for a bigger tank and use the 10 for a sump? If I use the 10 then what type of HOB will be good? I plain on starting with about 20lb LS,20-30lb LR and just a basic light. If I go with a bigger tank it will only be around a 30gal.I think that's all for now. Thanks for any and all help.

If I go foward with the 10 gal will I be able to get a perc. clown and a flame angel (I think that's what it's called) in it without overstocking?

The HOB filter I get will be the biggest I can fit in the tank to make sure it will do the job. With this filter will I be able to keep beginner corals with the right lighting ?

Last edited:
I forgot I was thinking of a refuge on the 10 gal. I think they have a hang on the back that will fit. Is that a good idea or just money in the trash?

With a ten gallon you will be very limited to what you can put in there. I doubt a flame angel will be able to go in there without it being stressed out. I would try for a bigger tank.

You will need a bigger tank if you are planning to keep any of the fish you mentioned. You should go with the 30 gal and use the 10 as a sump. You can skip the HOB and just set up the 10 with a fuge section. You will also need a skimmer and I would look into a T5 VHO light for your tank.

So the 10 is crap for a tank. I'll have to go looking for a bigger one 30 sounds good to me. I had a 55 and I really don't want that big of a water change to do. I have a 6yr and 2yr old that keep me busy.

The only thing is this will be my first sump setup. Are they pretty easy to keep up?

I also thought about doing one of the nano cubes. Are they any good or just a waste? If so which would should I go with?Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
The advantage of going with a nano cube setup is that the pumps and filtration are already planned out, so you can just buy it today and start filling it with LR and water tonight. With a regular glass tank, you have to figure out the stand, the pumps, filtration, lighting, etc. The advantage of going with a glass tank is that you can build a better and more custom unit for less money. The lighting and filtration you get with a nano cube is only going to barely cut it. I have heard that the Red Sea Nano's are the best but even then, realize that you are still not going to have lighting or water movement enough to support a lot of the corals that you may want. If you are content with mostly soft corals and just a couple of fish, then the nano is an easy way to simplify the startup process. 30 gal would be enough for the clowns you want and probably the 6line for a while at least. It still is not big enough for a dwarf angel and absolutley no Tangs! You could do a lot of different gobies comfortably in a 30 gal. I bet your girls would love a clown Gobie. I have one in my 75 and he is the coolest. He perches in his favorite spots and then when I walk up to the tank he swims over to say hi. If i put my hand in the tank he swims over and perches on it. He is like a little puppy dog. As for the sump, if you choose to go that route I think you will be pleased. It is really rather simple and the benefits are numerous. First, you have one central, out of sight place to put all of your equipment which enhances the appearance of your tank. You also increase your water volume which makes it easier to keep your system stable. You have a place you can throw suppliments and any chemicals you may dose later so that they are more gradually introduced to the tank. You can build a fuge into the sump to introduce additional filtration methods and pod production to feed some of the various fish that rely on pods. Etc... Let us know what you decide to go with and we will help you build it or set it up.

Sorry to say it but a ten gallon tank really isnt condusive to keeping any saltwater fish. Even a 30 gallon tank is going to restrict your fish keeping very much but you could have two or three SMALL fish in one. Sumps arent any harder to keep on a tank than without and in my opinion they help to make it easier and more enjoyable. You can keep your equiptment hidden which is a big plus and it makes you water volume more which helps to keep your system more stable. You should check out the articles section at the top bar of the page. There is a ton of valuable information enclosed in them. Also if you would rather read a book check out the Conscientous Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. Its consider the reefkeepers bible.

Well I found a LFS that sells used tanks $1 per gal. So I'm going to try and get one pretty soon. I'm not sure on the size but I don't want much more than a 30 gal. So how much do the refuge help? And is it better in the sump than LR?Thanks again

Refugia help quite a bit. Especially when you keep a macro-algae such as chaeto and keep them on a reverse lighting schedule(It helps to keep ph swings at night in check) They also help to reduce phosphate and nitrates and will compete with nuisance algaes for them. Ideally I would keep macro algae and live rock rubble in the refugium. This will help boost copepod populations and have the same NO3 and PO4 reductions.

Look and see if the LFS has a bowfront tank(they are either 42 or 46 gallons I cant think of it off the top of my head) They have the most character for a small tank in my opinion.

That would be nice. I'd like to find a 42 bow for $42. I went later yesterday and all I saw was standard tanks,but I did find a 30 long and reg 30. I think I'll give it a week or two and see what they come up with.

Back