Need help trying to decide on my next upgrade

BL1

Hey everyone, so next week is the big week. Heading down to TN and hopefully putting the down payment on my house. At this point I've decided I'm going bigger in the new house and of course there will be size constraints based on the floor plan when I get down there. But, my issue right now is that I'm looking at either a 125, 180, or a 240-300 gallon upgrades. I know that everyone always says go big lol so before you give your answer here's my dilemma. I'll be in this house for at least 3 years (possibly more depending on job/school opportunities after that time) and then after that I can't be sure. I'm a little worried that if I need to move after that time that moving a whole 300g setup with fish and corals may be unbelievably difficult.

So, if you guys were in my place, what would you do?

I personally would go with the 125 gal...it's a nice size tank, without the feeling of being overwhelmed. And if you have to move later on, it's not a difficult move to make (I've done it twice with my old tank).

+1 smitty. I would want something that is managable. 300g is huge! And will take soo much time to make look full. Go with the 125. Still big but managable.

Plus it will be easier to fill a 120, then once that tank is full of corals, you will have some nice size pieces to put into a larger tank if you so decide

Honestly, when you're talking about moving a 100+ gallon tank, does the total gallon age really make that much of a difference? I guess I just don't see moving a 125 sucking any less than moving a 300 - they are both going to suck

I think a 300 gallon system gives you some stocking options that most of us here on the site only dream about....

I understand the reasoning for going smaller, and it makes sense. But I'd bump it up to a 180 since it will give you more options in terms of types of fish you can have. I agree that waiting for the 300 makes sense for now!

take all the ranges split in the middle and call it a day. 180. pretty darn big but pretty amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think first off, you need to take into consideration the house. Is it a concrete slab, or raised foundation? If it is the later, you are going to have to crawl under it, and re-enforce the flooring.

That being said.............................................180-210 hands down. Both 6 foot tanks, not really that much more of a pain to move in comparison to a 150. Plus the extra added dimensions give you the opportunity to add more livestock.

+1 smitty. I would want something that is managable. 300g is huge! And will take soo much time to make look full. Go with the 125. Still big but managable.
Plus it will be easier to fill a 120, then once that tank is full of corals, you will have some nice size pieces to put into a larger tank if you so decide
Well, I've been thinking lately and I'm not sure how many corals I'd be trying in the new tank, there are quite a few angels I'd like to try.

Honestly, when you're talking about moving a 100+ gallon tank, does the total gallon age really make that much of a difference? I guess I just don't see moving a 125 sucking any less than moving a 300 - they are both going to suck

I think a 300 gallon system gives you some stocking options that most of us here on the site only dream about....
It's not so much moving the actual tank that I wasn't thinking would be as difficult but, more so moving 600 lbs. of live rock as opposed to like 250 lbs. I feel like that would be really difficult not to mention the fish that I would have in that larger tank.

Yea I know, I really wanted to go that big so I could add a queen or emperor angel but, as it is I could fit the other two angels I really like in a 125-180.

I understand the reasoning for going smaller, and it makes sense. But I'd bump it up to a 180 since it will give you more options in terms of types of fish you can have. I agree that waiting for the 300 makes sense for now!

I think first off, you need to take into consideration the house. Is it a concrete slab, or raised foundation? If it is the later, you are going to have to crawl under it, and re-enforce the flooring.

That being said.............................................180-210 hands down. Both 6 foot tanks, not really that much more of a pain to move in comparison to a 150. Plus the extra added dimensions give you the opportunity to add more livestock.
That's a good point, it is one of the questions I have for the realtor already.

Yea, The extra room would be nice, I'd like to have pairs of all my fish in the next tank.

Just so you know my tank was at least 500lbs empty. If I didn't have a walk in basement it wouldn't have made it! Are you thinking about a custom tank?

I have moved my 180 it's a pain, but not that bad. I most likely will move it again since I don't seem to stay one place more than a couple years. However I wouldn't want to move all the rock from a 300, and i'd consider an acrylic tank they're so much lighter & easier to move. My 55 gallon glass sump tank weighs more than the 180 acrylic display.

Just so you know my tank was at least 500lbs empty. If I didn't have a walk in basement it wouldn't have made it! Are you thinking about a custom tank?
If I was going with a 250+ tank I was looking at custom tanks since I wanted an 8-10 foot long tank.

I have moved my 180 it's a pain, but not that bad. I most likely will move it again since I don't seem to stay one place more than a couple years. However I wouldn't want to move all the rock from a 300, and i'd consider an acrylic tank they're so much lighter & easier to move. My 55 gallon glass sump tank weighs more than the 180 acrylic display.

I'd never do an acrylic tank for SW, they scratch way too easily for the money I'd be paying.

When I had my 240, I was all excited at first about the stocking possibilities, but when it came down to it, I was really unhappy with it because I never had enough money to make it look like a reef. No matter how many corals I bought, it always looked empty. If you know that your budget can handle it, the bigger tanks are great. But if you only can afford to buy a few corals here and there and want to stock gradually, you may get frustrated with having such a big, empty box to fill.

When I had my 240, I was all excited at first about the stocking possibilities, but when it came down to it, I was really unhappy with it because I never had enough money to make it look like a reef. No matter how many corals I bought, it always looked empty. If you know that your budget can handle it, the bigger tanks are great. But if you only can afford to buy a few corals here and there and want to stock gradually, you may get frustrated with having such a big, empty box to fill.

Even with the 125/180 I'm sure it's going to take a little bit to fill with corals since I'm going to have to be picky about what the angels won't eat on me.

Back