need help with aggressive tank mates

mm2meyer

Reefing newb
Ok, so its been a while since I posted a thread but I need yalls help. I just added two clownfish 4 damsels (wifey liked them) and a flame angel. The occupants already in the tank were a blue tang, sailfin tang, powder brown tang, coral beauty, firefish, a green chromis, and a foxface. Everyone got along until the flame angel was introduced yesterday. The coral beauty is going total UFC on the flame angel. I didn't think there would have been a problem since they're in a 180 with a lot of hiding places but the coral beauty if out for blood. I've never had any issues with tankmate aggression before and really need some help with ideas to restore the peace in my tank. Any suggestions? Ohh and yes pics are on the way!

One of the angels will have to go back to the store.
Usually 2 angels wont get along unless added at the same time.Even then its a 50/50 shot.

Grrrrr.......that really sucks, the LFS I got him from is a wholesaler, great prices but don't do returns. Looks like I gotta make a choice and see wich one will o on craigslist for a new home, IF I can catch em.

Does anyone know why there's such an extreme aggression between angels? I never had that problem with any of my tangs and my powder brown was about 2 thirds the size of my sailfin when he was added

Luck of the draw i guess...like Yote said 50/50......i have read stories about tangs going at it too.....people say it about ALL fish.....i have 2 triggers together ,while i have read about others not being able to do this...sorry you got a butt head angel,i have one myself:lol:

Yeah, the wierd thing is the coral beauty used to be the pacifist of the tank. The sailfin was the bully, I mean its dr jeckyl and mr hyde up in there. He even tried goin after the shoal of damsels but they rallied toether and put him in his place, it was like watching 4 sparrows drive off a hawk, it was pretty funny. I'm hoping they settle down or at least allow me to catch ONE of them. I just hope I don't loose them both over my noob stupidity. Should have researched the compatibility between them and not just care needs.

EVERYONE SURVIVED!!! And I was able to catch the flame angel and put him in my 10 gal QT tank! Guess it just turned into a nano. This is my question now. Can you run a nano tank without a skimmer and just a marineland penquin 100???? Its rated to 20 gallons. And its running in a 10 gal tank. Never really thought about setting up a second tank. Could use some advice on a minimalist perspective.

Tangs of different genuses will usually get along. Your tangs are all different genuses. Two angels will fight almost all the time -- even if they are in a big tank. Think of all the territory they have to be away from each other in the ocean. Think of your tank. Is your tank really that big in comparison? :)

Edit: You can't keep a flame angel in a 10 gallon tank. That's way too small for that fish and would be cruel. It's fine as a temporary home, but not a permanent or long-term home for the fish.

Ohh definately know a 10 gal is waayyyy too small. The only two thing I got goin for me with this guy is he's small. But plan on finding him a home very soon. I'm just talking about the next few days is what I got gonna keep him alive?

Oh okay. You don't need a filter. Just do a small water change each day instead. You will need a powerhead for some water movement, and a heater.

Sweet, well imma keep the filter running acts as a powerhead for now, heater already there. Just looked at liveaquaria and they say a flame angel needs a 30 gal tank. Do you guys agree or do you think more??? Depending on the answer to this, I might just be able to keep the lil guy after all.

One more question cause I'm watching my blue tang do this right now, has anyone heard of their tang blowing bubbles??? He swims to the surface, then back down expelling air bubbles. Any ideas? Or is just weird?

One more question cause I'm watching my blue tang do this right now, has anyone heard of their tang blowing bubbles??? He swims to the surface, then back down expelling air bubbles. Any ideas? Or is just weird?

Theres probably something on the surface of your water that he's trying to pick at or eat.He's just getting air as he's biting at whatever it is.

ok just making sure it wasn't a sign of an illness or anything like that. It's funny to watch him do it too!

When I first got into the hobby,I had a Sebea clown that would take flakes off the water surface.Then after he's ate his fill,he would fart tiny bubbles.Meanest fish I ever kept.

Back