Need help with Banded Shark feeding

They are kept in small tanks at the pet store because they usually sell very quickly. Fish stores generally have a very fast turnover rate when it comes to livestock. They are not going to spend the rest of their lives in the holding tanks at the store.

You say your parameters are very safe. What are they? Specifically, pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Ammonia is between 0 ppm, nitrate 5 ppm, pH 7.6 , and nitrite is .0 ppm. So it appears that pH is a little low

Last edited:
the reason its at a petstore in a 10g is because they sell very quickly.

Thats too much rock to be having with sharks and rays in it. They have to be able to swim around and move about the bottom of the tank

But if the parameters of the water are fine then that obviously isn't the reason why he isn't eating, and for the time being he's about 5-6 inches, which you yourself said when your shark hatches he is going into a 120 gallon until he's a foot long. Why doesn't my 120g 6 foot tank work for the time being?

That pH is low enough to harm the fish. It should be around 8.2 to 8.4. What do you have for water circulation? Low pH can sometimes be a result of poor water flow.

I hope the shark starts eating soon, I don't want to see it die due to negligence or ignorance on the topic of raising it, which is why I'll return it before it becomes too late

Last edited:
But if the parameters of the water are fine then that obviously isn't the reason why he isn't eating, and for the time being he's about 5-6 inches, which you yourself said when your shark hatches he is going into a 120 gallon until he's a foot long. Why doesn't my 120g 6 foot tank work for the time being?

well, you said you also have a ray. between the size of the ray, the pH being low and probably stress (did you even acclimate it into your system?) is causing it not to eat. My shark is also going into an ESTABLISHED tank that is by ITSELF and maintained by the monterey bay aquarium. I work there, which allows me to be able to have crazy things like that in my tank. plus my 120 is more of a flatten box that allows the lil dude to swim around. There are a hundred factors we could come up with for the reason your shark isn't eating but baby sharks don't even eat all that much anyways, you can kill them from overfeeding.

I don't mean to sound rude or snippity, I just think that your roommate BSed you a TON and and you guys didn't do enough research.

yes, I did acclimate the shark and you've already told me about your job at the aquarium. So if I'm going to kill the shark and the anemone, thereby killing everything else in the tank, would the best option be to take it back to the aquarium, more than likely to be sold to another clueless aquarium owner like myself who probably doesn't have as much sense to seek experienced help, or keep it where its at and make damn sure that I keep the nitrites, nitrates, amonia, and pH levels perfect and advise my roommate to #1 not feed me crap and do research and #2 when he takes everything home make sure he provides a lot of room for each animal. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just feel slightly attacked. I feel like the fact that I'm on here trying to get advice is being overlooked. I just want whats best for the shark, anemone, ray, and all the other fish in my aquarium and although my tank does seem small for what I have, there is always an option of getting another tank to house the shark or the ray so they can have the room they require, if this is an absolute immediate problem

I'm not trying to attack you, i'm just trying to tell you when people said take it back that IS the best solution for you and the animals, go ahead and keep the clown, but everything else is not going to make it :(

unfortunately the ray isn't "mine" and my 2 roommates apparently don't like taking advice and don't think that just because the ray is moving that he doesn't have enough room. So I'll try and take your advice and see if the LFS will take the anemone and the shark back, but the ray is staying against my will.

Back