Need help with DIY triangle tank

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I want to build a tank to fit into a corner. Just a normal triangle would be great. Right now I'm thinking something in the range of 50-60 gallons. 75g would probably be the max though. I want the top of the tank to be rimless and I'm not sure how I'd make a rim for the bottom of the tank.

The stand I want to be triangle shaped as well, and have a sump built into it.

All of the tanks I've seen thus far are really tall(a lot of wasted space), really expensive, OR are like pentagon or hexagon shaped and it cuts down on the overall view from different angles.

Anyone have any advice or help to offer. I don't necessarily need a tank that's super tall, probably 18-24inches tall.

Thank you in advance.

PS :bounce::bounce::bounce: Added that for my son, lol.

I know that they make bow front corner tanks. I am sure they are pricey, but maybe look into on of them?

But if you do decide to go the DIY, take lots of pics and keep us informed. It would be very interesting.

They are expensive! And they're also tall, and the stands that come with them have 0 space for a sump. So I'd have to sidelocate the sump(which isn't an option), or HOB everything, which would defeat the purpose in the first place!

a 36g bowfront corner tank is 155$ at my LFS. The stand isn't big enough to put a 1g sump in it, and the stand is another 100 some bucks.

So I figure my only option is to build something..or have it built. And I can't afford that!

Anyone have any reading they can point me towards or websites so I can do this the right way?

How to Build a Corner Aquarium Stand | eHow.com

found this on how to build a stand. It might help a bit?

Thanks, it's a good start. Could build the stand a lot easier than the tank, at least a lot cheaper.

EDIT: Judging from the chart here: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/pl...bles--Diagrams/Glass-Thickness-Calculator.htm

So looks like I will need .35-.47 inch thick glass. Now to call a glass shop and see about pricing. How much do you think I could get away with on the price of building this thing.

My concerns are it holding together. How do I build it without a frame to sit in? LIke that black rim on most tanks..it adds a lot of strength. How do I do that with a tank like this?

Last edited:
My concerns are it holding together?
I think your main concern should be how to cut the glass at an angle and what angle does it need to get cut at? Glass is normally cut at a 90° angle, but for a corner tank 90's won't work...you need 45's maybe? You may have a very hard time finding a glass co that will bevel the cut edges 45°.

Back