Need help with flow rates for overflow

BL1

I'm trying to plan out the plumbing for the sump I'm trying to set up. I've got the overflow that I'm planning on using, Aquarium Filters: Continuous Siphon Overflow It's the 1-1/2" single model 1600 gph. It's going on my 75g and I'll be using a 24-29 gallon tank for the sump, and I've got a Maxi-Jet 3000 (775gph) pump I was planning on using.

What I want to know is, should I use an adapter to reduce the downpipe size and reduce the flow of water? Or, should I buy a higher gph pump for the return?

Thanks!

Ok, now I'm not even sure which model I have. I've tried 1" and 1-1/2" thread-slip pipe adapters on this and they're either too big or small. I'm not sure what to do now, I can't even fit the pipes on it.

i had a similar problem... i put a one inch pvc into the threaded part as a solution.

and also your going to need a way bigger pump than the maxijet for your return.

that was vague sorry.... rather than screwing something onto the threaded pipe, i inserted a 1 inch pipe and glued it to the inside of the threaded section. i only had 8 or so inches of pipe sticking out and from there i attached a union that connected to the rest of the overflow in the sump area...

your going to need a way bigger pump than the maxijet for your return.

Only if I keep the 1-1/2" tubing all the way to the sump, If I use an adapter to a narrower pipe I can reduce the flow to the sump. I'm not sure if I should do that or not since this overflow is actually rated for a 350g tank.

that was vague sorry.... rather than screwing something onto the threaded pipe, i inserted a 1 inch pipe and glued it to the inside of the threaded section. i only had 8 or so inches of pipe sticking out and from there i attached a union that connected to the rest of the overflow in the sump area...
I knew what you meant, I want to try and stick with the threads for ease of maintenance and ability to disassemble it. I'm really hoping that I won't have to glue it, if I do that will cut down the rate of flow anyway.

You should put a schedule 40 ball valve on the tubing leading from the overflow to the sump. That way you can adjust the flow as necessary or shut of off completely if need be.

6ad8820d-1fa6-4b71-abd9-81d86c835d21_400.jpg

Man, what a headache trying to figure this thing out. So, after an hour or so searching the internet, I found that CPR has it's own web forum where I found out that I guess the threaded fitting on the bulkhead is a non-standard size which means, I'll have to cement the PVC into the bulkhead. Which also means I was wrong again and I only have the 1" 800 gph model. so hopefully I can get away with using my current pump.

Thanks for your help guys!

I used to use the CPR overflow rated at 350gph w/ the aqualifter pump to keep syphon. Make sure to keep an eye on that aqualifter as it get blocked up with gunk and algae in the tubing and will severely slow down the overflow and cause a flood out of the DT. I've had that happen to me over night which sucked majorly! Every since then I made sure to clean the aqualifter and change the tubing weekly. Best way to clean it is to run vinegar through it for a few minutes. Also, the CPR is not really a continuous syphon overflow without some sort of pump to suck out the air. Not sure if you've ever used one before or not, but that's the story of my experience with it. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have as I've used it for almost a year before I switched to a different overflow.

I used to use the CPR overflow rated at 350gph w/ the aqualifter pump to keep syphon. Make sure to keep an eye on that aqualifter as it get blocked up with gunk and algae in the tubing and will severely slow down the overflow and cause a flood out of the DT. I've had that happen to me over night which sucked majorly! Every since then I made sure to clean the aqualifter and change the tubing weekly. Best way to clean it is to run vinegar through it for a few minutes. Also, the CPR is not really a continuous syphon overflow without some sort of pump to suck out the air. Not sure if you've ever used one before or not, but that's the story of my experience with it. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have as I've used it for almost a year before I switched to a different overflow.

I bought it used for $25, I thought it was a great deal. Would you suggest a different one then? I'd rather get it set up right the first time so I don't have to redo any plumbing later on down the road.

I bought it used for $25, I thought it was a great deal. Would you suggest a different one then? I'd rather get it set up right the first time so I don't have to redo any plumbing later on down the road.

I'm all for saving money any way I can in this hobby, so $25 is a great deal for that overflow. New that one would have cost you over $100.

Based on my own personal experience I would definitely use a different overflow. The one I switched to is made by Lifereef and is truely a continuous syphon overflow. Yes, it cost a bit more, but IMO its' worth every penny since I don't have a drilled tank. It's rated at 700gph at peak performance which is plent for my 75g. I paid $136.00 which included shipping.

Here's their website if you'd like to check them out.

Lifereef Filter Systems

Hiker is right about the Lifereef overflow boxes.Considered the best by reefers on RC.

Your pump is a perfect match for the 800gph CPR box.I wouldn't put a ball valve on the drain.It should be after the return pump.

I'm all for saving money any way I can in this hobby, so $25 is a great deal for that overflow. New that one would have cost you over $100.

Based on my own personal experience I would definitely use a different overflow. The one I switched to is made by Lifereef and is truely a continuous syphon overflow. Yes, it cost a bit more, but IMO its' worth every penny since I don't have a drilled tank. It's rated at 700gph at peak performance which is plent for my 75g. I paid $136.00 which included shipping.

Here's their website if you'd like to check them out.

Lifereef Filter Systems

Thanks Hiker! I definitely found a great deal on this one, I may just use this and hopefully get through the holidays without any issues, then get a new one next year. I'm not surprised about the lifereef ones, I've never heard anything but good things about all their products.

Hiker, when you were using the CPR overflow did you ever have an issue with a gurgling sound coming from the overflow? Is it not enough flow feeding it? Too much?

Back