Need help with ID

Anemone: Curley Cue

curlycue-patsan.jpg

Much debate whether these guys are good or bad for your tank. There is an aiptasia which is also known as "glass anemone" that originates out of the pacific. When people attempt to kill them by remove or pullin on them, they shatter and replicate massively taking over your whole tank. The Curly Cue is not as prolific and spreading, but if you do remove them, use Joes Juice and inject the mouth or the stalk. This person has 5 which have not been touched. They have not spread but have grown. The curly cue looks darker than the typical Indo glass anemone. Photo: patsan

Found this on Tampa Bay Saltwater's site could this be like mine?

Ok wait a sec. You BOUGHT this if I remember correctly from your LFS right? I would take it back tell them it's been identified as a 'pest' anemone and you want full credit. There's no excuse for this from a LFS IMO

While they may not spread as quick as aiptasia, both are extremely aggressive and have potent stings. They can/will sting corals and kill fish.

Ok wait a sec. You BOUGHT this if I remember correctly from your LFS right? I would take it back tell them it's been identified as a 'pest' anemone and you want full credit. There's no excuse for this from a LFS IMO

Ok whoops!! It was a hitchhiker. Never mind lol! Need to get rid of it though for real

So far mine hasn't been aggressive at all...it is scared of my fish. I just can't have something killed if it hasn't done anything wrong and soon everything from that 10g is getting moved to my 65g so maybe I can just keep it away from everything else.

This is a curly Q anemone.
I've been debating whether or not to get rid of it.
I'm pretty confident yours is aiptasia.
I feel the same way you do about killing things, but it really is for the better of your tank.
SDC13030.jpg

I am going to leave the whole rock it is on. It needs its own space poor thing, the hermit crab just scared it all in and it finally started to come back out and the yellow tail damsel smacked it with its tail. Great here comes the stamatella....what is this pick on the anemone day. This is why we got the 65g the 10g is full. LOL

Back