Need Help with my New Skimmer!!!

roberttroy81

Ocean Fanatic
I Just upgraded my seaclone 100 to the Berlin Hang on HO model.Ive had it running for two days now,and all im getting is foam in the cup.I tried adjusting it.Its driving me crazing anyone know hat to do?

Ive also got my new lights coming tomorrow.:Cheers: And plan on getting my first coral.Anyone suggest what to get for my first.Im just getting one to see how it goes.

Do you use any tap water conditioner, medication, slime coat or aloe additives to the water? If no, then your skimmer is just breaking in. It could take up to a couple weeks for it to break in completely. Until then, it won't work like it should.

As for corals, that will depend on what type of lights you're getting. Let us know the lights that you bought and the size of your tank, and we can help you out better.

is it foaming out of control? or is the foam just foam and then slowly turning into scum in the cup. That is normal.

Corals are a different story. Tell us what you are planning and lights and we can give you direction

-The Doc

Well i Just Found out Its a 45g tank and not a 50g.When my parents gave it to me they said it was a 50g.It confused me a little when searching for lights,cause its only 36" long.As for the lights i went a little cheap.

Coralife Aqualight compact 192 watt
1 96 watt 10,000 Daylight
1 96 watt 03 Actinic
1 3/4 watt lunar blue moon glow LED lamps
2 cooling fans.

I was also planning maybe using my Coralife 50/50 20 watt bulb some how.So that would be 212 total watts of light for a 45g tank.

I also did clean the tank and did a water change before installing the skimmer.Thank you for your help.

That's not really a lot of light... If you want to keep corals, you can't go cheap when it comes to lights. With those lights, you will be able to keep low-light corals such as zoanthids, mushrooms and softies. But you won't be able to keep LPS, SPS, clams or anemones.

That fine!!Ill just get a couple softies.Im not looking to go big (right Now).If everthing goes well for the next year and i feel like im ready to go big,Thinking 75-150g .Then Ill invest in some killer equipment.But for now im just learning.Plus i need to save some money for when i do go big im still just a Apprentice for the next two years.

I think ill just pick up a Mushroom for now.Thanks you guys.:D

you can get some impressive soft corals that will work great for your tank. Don't be afraid to take a risk. You might even be able to keep a hardy LPS if you place it up close to the top of your tank.

Look to add a toadstool leather (they are classic and grow fast), a finger leather, colt coral, and don't forget gorgonias, I never see them in tanks anymore. Not the sea-fans mind you, they just die. You can also keep zoanthids, which can be quite colorful. Good luck

-The Doc

I keep tons of corals and a clam under my PC's with no problems. I run 260 watts in a 75gallon tank. As for the skimmer are you sure theres anything to even skim out of the water?

huh. i tried a corcea clam with my PCs and the mantle turned brownish and it just didn't look healthy. Glad to hear you have better luck

-Doc

yeah its not that i condone it. in fact i wouldnt risk it. but of course even if i still ran pc lights i couldnt risk it now because it would become koran food really fast

I disagree somewhat with what Biff said.I had many LPS thrive under PC.IMO,softies and LPS corals will do just fine under those lights.Congratulations and good luck.

Well my skimmer is running good now,but i think it might be a defect.Now thiers alot of bubbles coming back into the tank.I think it might have a small air leak somewhere.Sucks cause i was planing on going out to night,but don't wanna leave the house with it running.

Im thinking about going back to my seaclone.I paid alot of money for this Berlin Skimmer.:mad:

don't let it ruin your night out. Just unplug the thing and deal with it tomorrow. You are fine not to have a skimmer running for a week at a time, or even more

-Doc

Yea im already calling it a night.

Has anyone ever ordered the Tonga Deepwater LR or the Tonga Ridge/Shelf LR from Live Aquaria?It looks really good and i need to add some more LR and need more color on my reef.I dont know what i got now,I got it from my LFS awhile ago.i think its Malaysian or standard Fifi.Ill take pictures when i get my camera back,so PPl can tell me.

I really wanted the Fiji Premium LR but 90Lbs was to much.

I bought there Tonga deepwater,it was okay,not great.I also bought some of their lalo live rock,now that stuff was awesome.

If you want some awesome looking live rock.Actually some of the best I've ever seen then get some Uaniva live rock from Saltycritters.com.The best rocks I've ever seen.

Tonga deepwater-not so hot,nice and light with lots of holes though.
2102009.jpg

Lalo live rock,nice color and very light for live rock.
210042.jpg

Uaniva after about a month and half.Don't expect it to come this colorful but given some time,it will color up nicely.Uaniva is in front,tonga branch is in the back
03-05-07-17.JPG

Back