Need help with plumbing setup!

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Ok, here's what I have so far.
A 46g Oceanic Bow Front tank sitting on (or will be as soon as i finish staining it) a custom built stand. The tank is being drilled on the back near the base and an overflow box is being installed inside. This is all in the center/rear of the tank. It was suggested by someone i know that instead of just a hole at the bottom of the overflow, that I run pvc up towards the top of the overflow and have the water enter the pvc up there so there is much less noise.

Now, below the tank in the stand is a CPR CY192 filter/sump with protein skimmer. How would you suggest I get the water from the overflow in the tank down to the sump? Should i just do all pvc? What size would you recommend? Some white flex tubing came with the CPR so should i use that? Does junk accumulate in the ridges of the flex tubing?

Then i need to get the water back up to the tank. I was thinking I should run pvc up behind the center of the tank and then have a T at the top splitting it off to the right and left corners of the tank. Should i just have a 90 degree elbow at the ends that drops the water into the tank, breaking the water surface? Or should the water enter the tank under the water surface? Should I use anything on the end of the pvc that would direct water in a certain direction or is dropping straight down better? And again, what size pipe should i use for the return?

And finally, what size return pump do you think I should use? 600gph? My stand is a little higher than normal, putting the top of the tank at about 5 feet or so.

I tried finding all this info online but i can't seem to find anything with enough specifics. So any help would be appreciated. I need to clear up the confusion and have a solid plan before continuing. Thanks! :D

I actually have one of these, brand new, but wasn't sure if it was the right thing to use.
http://shop.bhg.com/product/new-items/160548/rio-plus-2100-692-gph-max-head-8-ft-.html

Should i just use that? There is a BIG price difference between that and something like a Pan World 50PX. Why is that? They seem to be pumping the same amount of water. And should the Rio be placed INSIDE my CPR?
Thanks!

I actually have one of these, brand new, but wasn't sure if it was the right thing to use.
http://shop.bhg.com/product/new-items/160548/rio-plus-2100-692-gph-max-head-8-ft-.html

Should i just use that? There is a BIG price difference between that and something like a Pan World 50PX. Why is that? They seem to be pumping the same amount of water. And should the Rio be placed INSIDE my CPR?
Thanks!

Unfortunately I dont believe that GPH will be able to produce anything. You have to remember the water has to go up against gravity, the higher the water has to go the less GPH it will produce. I dont think that will be enough at all.

Unfortunately I dont believe that GPH will be able to produce anything. You have to remember the water has to go up against gravity, the higher the water has to go the less GPH it will produce. I dont think that will be enough at all.

It says it's rated for 692gph.
What would you suggest in my case?

well for mine ive got a little giant thats pushin around 1200GPH for my fuge and 2 returns. and ive got 4 850 gph powerheads in my tank as well

Hmmm.... i don't know the size of your fuge and returns and stuff.
I'm just looking for suggestions on what size pump i should use for my system.
I heard 4-5x the size of your tank which would put me around 300gph including my sump. Even if I double that it's still only 600gph. Or did i hear wrong?

Most say ten times your tank size. So your tank is 46 which would be 460 plus you have to facture is how high it has to push the water up. Which should tell you on the instructions what the gph would be. Then I would go from there. I think it would be cutting it close. But if this is for closed loop you'll need bigger.

Ya, at 6' that Rio 2100 is only pushing 250gph. Not enough.
So I guess I should look for something rated at near 1000 to make up for the 5' of upward travel?

the only problem is that you will not be able to get over 700 gallons an hour through one drain at 600 you will be pushing it. you will be fine with that rio you will just have to add a couple power heads in the tank for some added flow

the pump that you linked to ran my 50 gal for over a year until i upped it to the 3100 than to the hyperflow which is a good pump for the money

the only problem is that you will not be able to get over 700 gallons an hour through one drain at 600 you will be pushing it. you will be fine with that rio you will just have to add a couple power heads in the tank for some added flow

Ok, that makes sense but I'm still a little confused because the Rio Plus 2100 is only rated at 375gph at 4' and 200gph at 6'. It will be entering my tank closer to the 6' mark so isn't that too low of a rating?

And I'm also confused about the additional powerheads. Where would they go?

that is low you would need to add some power heads you can just stick them to the side of the tank or hide them behind the rock and point them out or were ever you want i have three mj1200 behind the rock that all point in different directions

Seriously,I would go ahead an use the pump you already have.If is not enough than look for something bigger.If this is going to be the usual 1'' drain than it won't even handle 600gph without burping and gurgling.....realistically more like 300-400gph which is plenty going through the sump.

To answer your first question.
You do not want a waterfall effect behind the overflow.Set up a durso standpipe so water is drawn just below the overflow slits.

The number of powerheads you will need depends on your tank size. Everyone that doesn't run a closed loop system usually needs them. It's just impossible to get enough flow without powerheads. Luckily, if money is an issue, one of the best brands is super cheap (between $12 and $20 depending on where you buy them) -- MaxiJets. Koralias are more expensive ($40+), but they are also very good powerheads. Usually they are placed near the surface of the water to agitate the surface and oxygenate the water while moving it around. Too little flow can lead to algae problems, and more seriously, suffocation of your animals.

Oh ok, SEPARATE powerheads. I thought you guys were talking about making the powerheads part of the drain/sump/return. But ya, eventually i'll install a powerhead or two for some extra movement.

And yes, I am using a dorso standpipe in the overflow. I couldn't think of the name before. But we ended up doing 3/4" since it's a small tank. So use the pump i have and add some powerheads? I guess I could try it and see how it goes. Would you use that pump inside the sump or out? Is there an advantage to one or the other?

That Rio pump you linked to can only be submerged.Run in the sump.

I recommend some kind of ball valve to control the return flow.

I have one more question.
If you were pumping about 400gph in a 46g tank, would you run the return and T it off into two returns (one on each side of the tank), or just run it all through one return on one side of the tank and then maybe a powerhead on the other side of the tank?

Back