Need help with stocking

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by jef9891, May 1, 2013.

1. jef9891

jef9891

Well im new to salt water tanks, so bare with me. I have a 75g that is in the process of cycling. So i have been looking at fish to possibly have in the tank, as of right the plan is FOWLR tank. I'm not sure if i have to many fish or just enough or if they would all go together.
    Pygmy Yellowtail Angelfish
    Clown Goby, Citrinis
    Orange Spotted Goby
    Carberryi Anthias
    Black & White Chromis
    Blue Sapphire Damselfish
    Bicolor Blenny
    Flame Hawkfish
    Hoeven's Wrasse
    Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Pretty much 1 of everything. Thinking the hawkfish could be taken out and replaced by a clown. I'm not sure if the angel fish and tang would be OK but if i had to choose one i would go with the angel. Pretty much every fish is max size is 2 up to 4.5 expect the tang. So any help or ideas would be helpful. Thank you

jef9891, May 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. jef9891

kbuser92 Breeder

Damsels are assholes, so I would avoid that. I think that list would be pushing it. Try 1 of the gobies, a small school of chromis (they do better in groups). I would also say that a 75 is on the small side for any tang, most need a 6 ft tank and the bigger ones need more space. And lastly, the anthias needs a LOT of food. 4x daily feedings is recommended, I believe. Hard to control phosphates and avoid overfeeding everything else.

That said, heres an idea:
    3x Chromis
    Clown Goby OR Cleaner Goby
    Pygmy Angel
    Hawkfish
    Wrasse
    Blenny

Gives you a start and something to consider, at least.

kbuser92, May 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. jef9891

jef9891

Sounds like a good list. what if i took out the hawkfish. what you you suggest?

jef9891, May 1, 2013
  4. jef9891

Greenman

Personally I'd def. have a yellow tang and/or hippo Love the colors on those 2.

Greenman, May 1, 2013
  5. jef9891

kbuser92 Breeder

The hippos are way too big and aggressive, they do best in 180+ gallons. You could have the yellow tang, but like I said, it would be cramped as an adult.

If you took out the hawk, a pair of clowns would do nicely, but get the more docile varieties (i.e. avoid maroons).

kbuser92, May 1, 2013
  6. jef9891

kbuser92 Breeder

The hippos are way too big and aggressive, they do best in 180+ gallons. You could have the yellow tang, but like I said, it would be cramped as an adult.

If you took out the hawk, a pair of clowns would do nicely, but get the more docile varieties (i.e. avoid maroons).

kbuser92, May 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question