Need help with Sump theory...

earthduzt

Reefing newb
So Im going to attempt to make myself a DIY sump for my tank...its only a 10g sump but that is all I have room for. My tank is a 55 gallon btw. I understand how sumps work but am a bit confused when it comes to the return pump. From the sump up to the tank is probably around 4 feet. Ive been watching DIY videos on how to build them etc...and so Im thinking would a TAAM RIO 1700 (flow rate of 642gph) work? Is that too much back up into the tank that I wouldnt be able to drain as fast as the return? Or if I add some sort of valve it wont matter seeing as how Id be able to control the flow rate back up into the tank?

Also about the overflow, would this be worth it?
CPR Aquatic Continuous Siphon Overflow CS90 $89.00

or you think I could DIY an overflow just as good for less money? Sorry for all the questions, I just really need to get this right to avoid floods or having to remake anything (I hate having to do that lol) Thanks in advance for any responses.

I have to differ on the mag 5........ it's only 310 gph at 4' head....... now take into consideration the bends in the plumbing.... the return into the tank.... realistically that is probably going to end up at more like 250.... I think I'd go with a mag 7..... to end up at approx 400 gph flow....

I agree with ccCapt that a U-tube overflow is better than the CPR type.... less prone to overflows and a lot easier to clean..

JMO doesn't make it true.

good luck

Always put a stop valve on your return line that way you can slow the water down to fine tune your pump to work just right...

My pump is to big but with a stop valve a little less then half way closed makes for a perfect flow... My pump is a 581 gph without that close valve my pump would be do powerful and drain out my sump..and done make you dividers in the 10 gallon to high you dont want floods
(you should try and do a 20 gallon sump jmo

Back