need help with toadstool and other issues

stapletonmama

Reefing newb
hey...i found this site while looking for a solution for helping a sick/injured toadstool. short history..i set up aquarium w help of an experienced friend(he has since deployed so i need help!) last november. everything did awesome and grew beautifly till summer when my ac died. the tank got very hot. that was thing one. i also had fish eating eachother and eating my shrimp..(i only have 2 fish left a damsel and a coral beauty). in the mean time i got side tracked w some family issues and had an overload of aptasia(sp?) i finally killed those last nite. there was one at the base of the toadstool..i did get rid of that one about 1 1/2 wks ago. the toadstool has been bent over for a few weeks now..is it saveable or done? i am sending a before and after pic. im also having issues w hairy mush rooms..i had quite a lot and they suddenly are shrinking and dissappearing. and lastly i have 2 big colonies of star polps..one is completely gone. i had my water tested and they said other then being a little salty it was good..i fixed the saltiness tonite w my water change..any suggestions..i know its a lot but im wanting to learn...thank you for any help...ok..cant get pics to load sorry.

mary

Welcome to the site Mary.

Can you give give us the numbers for your parameters? That will go a long way in helping us figure out how to help you?
Also,what kind of lighting do you have on your tank,and how much flow?

i dont know numbers..i brought the water to a store to test and they told me it was good except to salty...my lites are the lites that are part of the nano tank..i'll have to look in manual and get back to you...sorry dont know off top of my head..thank you!!

usually salt levels cant be fixed with water changes, they will just be about be the same when u do a water change unless you do a water change way lerger than 10%. u need to add fresh purified water to bring down salt levels.
my mushrooms a while back started to melt away fall apart and disappear all of sudden all my levels were great except one level and that was my ph and the heat from not having a water chiller, my ph was so low and the tank was warm (85degrees) it destroyed my mushrooms pretty much over night but it took days for the ph to drop. how big is your tank? (gallons) what kind of lights do you have? since your friend left have you changed anything in the tank? we know you havent had time and your a/c went out but besides that did you add anything? remove anything.

Last edited:
it sounds like the salinity is your issue. Can you tell us what it reads?
also when you add top off water are you adding saltwater or freshwater? You should only add freshwater from evaporation.

You should also invest in a test kit. this is one of the most important tools for your aquarium, so that you can quickly see what might be wrong.

Salinity being off could have caused this whole cascade of disaster. Like Winy said, you really need your own test kits. That way you can catch a problem before it kills your animals off. A hydrometer or refractometer to measure your salinity is one of the most important tools you can have.

Back