need help

beetle69

Reefing newb
i have a big problem with my tank. i have a 125 gal. tank but some of my corals are dieing but don't know why. i been checking every thing but every thing is fine .it all when a fish died is this why my corals are dieing

need more info

need more info on what you have tried. Had this problem a while ago and was told that calcium and alk was low do u use a protien skimmer at all. do know if this helps but let me know i will try to research this deeper for you :scratchch

i do have a protein skimmer and its working fine. my cal. is 600, 0 nitrate, alkalinity is 400,ph is 8.4, heat in water 78 dig. nitriteis 0, i just saw that my clam,a snail, two crabs have died too what can i do :shock: :frustrat:

well you Calc is too high to start with which could cause the corals to not look as good. What is your alk in dKH or meq/L? Have you tested ammo and nitrite? have you had any swings in PH or temp lately? Like forgot to close a window over night or something? Maybe you didn't even see the tank temp drop but it might have overnight. Just a couple things to check. I would do a water change and see if that perks everything up. Water changes I have found to be out best weapon even if it is not water param related I have found water changes help. If you could post some picks of what is going on that might help to. Keep us posted.

squibley2 I think nitriteis 0 is the nitrite.Do you use tap water or R/o.Could be something toxic in the water.Also what type of test kits do use.They might be expirer and giving flase readings.See if your LFS can test for you.Also what squibley2 was saying is we usualy try to meassure alk in dKH or meq/L instead of total hardness that you included.Are dosing anything into the tank.

Your calcium needs to be brought down to below 500 to apprx no more than 475, your alkalinity should be lowered to apprx. 325 or 350, your Ph is also too high for corals, you need to lower to apprx. 8.2 on the high side. if your problem started after a fish die off, you probably have nitrates or something else going on. many things can cause the corals to droop, but with snails and crabs dying check your salinity and set between 1.023 and 1.025 or 33 to 35%. make up some fresh salt water and mix it well for at least 48 hours at tank temperature and aireate it briskly for the same time, use ro water for makeup water, then do a 30% water change, it all parameters look good. do the water change every 4 days for three changes and retest the day after each change and keep records. do not add anything else to your system until you can keep everything alive for at least three months with not water parameter difficulties. hope this helps, good luck.

Back