Need I.D. - Friend or Foe?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
My Tang was just missing so i was looking around the tank and finally found him pinned in some rock with this guy trying to munch on him. As soon as I touched the crab with my forceps, the tang was able to get away albeit with less fins than before. :grumble:

I can understand if the tang was sick/dying but he seems ok, other than a little stunned.

The crab's body is about the size of a nickel. The front legs are pretty long, about 1" with white claws.

846439429_FkeaY-O.jpg

I have no idea, the first thing that came to mind was a gorilla...but whatever it is, I'm glad you got it out your tank.

I have had three Decorator Crabs and it doesn't look anything like one to me. Looks like a cross between a Sally and a gorilla crab to me. :dunno: However if it were a Decorator Crab it would have something stuck to it. At least one thing.

At this point,it really dont matter what kind of crab he is. We already know he's a predator.
:D Stick him in the sump.

The markings on its back looks like that sloth, Sid, from that animated movie, Ice Age LOL Looks very rorschach to me

Back