Need info on good test kits

tp1011

Reefing newb
API as you all know just does not cut it when talking about NO3 anyone try Elos test kits?
Also what is good brand for testing calcium, alkaline and phosphate.
I use API right know I just recently bought my first coral so I know I need to start
testing for other things so Im just trying to it right the first time.

Any information would be appreciated.

Get the Red Sea Pro Reef Foundation kit for all, calc, and mag.
Get the Hanna HI 713 low range phosphorous checker for phosphate.
The Red Sea Pro Nitrate kit is kinda neat with the color wheel and it can do high or low range.

+1 Dennis. Or if you're lazy like me, there's a checker and/or monitor for most things, too. Large up front cost, but it'll pay itself off in the long run from not having to buy so many test kits. That's my plan.

Api is what I use. The Hannah checkers are great if your a serious hobbiest. If you are not( like most of us) then use the test kits as a reference. Along with time in in the hobby, like mr. Saltwater tank says "know your tank personality. " he is referencing that you learn the uptake of minerals and what is the normal. I honestly don't check much besides alk and a on board ph meter. This will come with time and understanding what YOUR system needs. I have my tanks stocked and am familiar with what is happening, adding corals and growth will all change with budget and time. Sorry for the tangent, just stick with the basics and double check them if you feel they are off. You can use the LFS or a buddy to assist with your readings.

That's actually a really good way to look at it. If you're just starting, checking at least weekly would be a good idea, then as things stabilize and you figure out what's going on, slow it down and eventually you can check some of the important things weekly (before water changes, maybe) and then other stuff like magnesium, nitrates, etc... monthly or so.

Api is what I use. The Hannah checkers are great if your a serious hobbiest. If you are not( like most of us) then use the test kits as a reference. Along with time in in the hobby, like mr. Saltwater tank says "know your tank personality. " he is referencing that you learn the uptake of minerals and what is the normal. I honestly don't check much besides alk and a on board ph meter. This will come with time and understanding what YOUR system needs. I have my tanks stocked and am familiar with what is happening, adding corals and growth will all change with budget and time. Sorry for the tangent, just stick with the basics and double check them if you feel they are off. You can use the LFS or a buddy to assist with your readings.

True, but phosphate is a bitch to get an accurate reading on without the hanna. Its THE ONE checker to get. The rest is all easier to test with normal kits.

I use Hanna Checkers for Phos, Calc, Alk
Red Sea for Mag
Salifert for NO2, NO3 +Ammo
PH Monitor
Just waiting for Hanna to come out the the rest for saltwater.
API Saltwater Master Kit was my first kit and it did well, but as your system grows depending on what you add to it you are going want an accurate result as possible.

Hanna for phos cal alk
Sailfert nitrate backup for phos cal and alk mag (in case i run out of reagents)
elos all others.
Find sailfiert good value for money and easy to use and read !

Back