Need lighting advice for tall tank

bmille6

Reefing newb
Hello,

I current have a 45 gallon tank (24 inches deep) and currently have 110 watt CF 50/50 fixture. I currently have several soft corals but the only ones that are growing are the mushrooms. I have assumed for some time that my lighting is inadequate.

I have been researching for sometime and it seems I should get a fixture that has Metal hidride lamps along with actinic lamps or some type of T5 fixture.

I currently have a nice looking oak hood but will probably have to go since the larger fixtures require more space and air flow. The tank is currently a focal point for my living room so astesics are important. Does anyone have any advice? My local shop has been no help. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brett (lighting newbie)

The tank is 36" long, 12" deep, and 24" tall. The clearance between tank and hood is 4.5 inches. Thanks for your help.

Brett

How do they compare with the metal hydride lamps? Do you think I need one since my tank is deep? Thanks for your help

Brett

They are equivalent to halides. Even better than halides for small tanks like yours. Halides tend to concentrate their heat into the tank. T5s don't, so you are less likely to have temperature spikes due to lighting.

Your tank isn't that deep. T5s penetrate well for the first 18" of water or so. Which means you can't keep high-light corals on the bottom of your tank. That light will work just fine for your tank -- it will allow you to keep high light corals, anemones, clams, etc. All the more light demanding critters.

Back