Need opinions on a fish injury

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
I was checking my inhabitants over this evening before lights out, and I noticed that my Lyretail Anthias has been injured, and I need some opinions. I have no idea what would have caused this, or what I should do, as I do not want to lose the fish.

It looks like the fish has been punctured or bitten, but I don't believe I have anything in the tank that could have caused the injury

Here is a list of inhabitants
Cleaner shrimp
Derasa Clam
Fighting Conch
Various snails and hermits

2 Ocellaris Clowns
3 green chromis
Yellowtail Damsel
Naso Tang
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Potters Angel
Lyretail Anthias

I had a Coral Banded Shrimp, but I lost it about a week back. Here are a few photos, I know they arent the greatest, but its the best that I can do. I dont really have a QT setup, but I could go out and get a small system if needed. What should I do to help the fish recover?

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Is he eating? Swimming around normally?
If the answers are yes, leave him be and he should recover on his own. He's probably stressed enough as it is, removing him from the system will only stress him out more. Plus, then he'd be the "new guy" all over again.

He appears to be acting normally. He did eat tonight and he's floating around the tank like he normally does. Its odd, it almost looks like something tried taking a bite out of the fish, but I can't see anything in the tank that would try biting a fish. He's been in the tank forever and all the fish get along. The kole tang is the bully of the tank, and he swims around with the anthias like they best buddies.

I'll keep an eye on him for now

Is there any chance you have a crab in there that might have tried to get him? Emeralds have been know to catch fish when they get large enough

He could have bumped into rocks too. Sometimes fish will panic for some reason and run into a rock, which leaves an abrasion like the one in your picture.

No crabs other than hermits, but even the largest one is no where near big enough to inflict a wound that large on the Anthias. I have a brittle and a serpent star, I suppose one of them may have tried to make a meal out of the Anthias, but there are smaller, slower fish in the tank that would make an easier meal.

He looked normal this morning before I left for work and he's still eating, it just looks uncomfortable for him and I feel like I let him down :frustrat:

Thats the plan, I just overreacted last night, between the 6 month 'Red Plague' phase and a problematic skimmer, its been a rough few weeks for me reefing wise....

Thanks for the info/support/opinons ladies!

The stomach is very sunken in looking like it's not getting enough food. How many times per day are you feeding it and what is it eating?

The stomach is very sunken in looking like it's not getting enough food. How many times per day are you feeding it and what is it eating?

+1 ccCapt. Anthias have a high metabolism and need frequent feedings. They will also bleach under strong lights...they're primarily deeper water fish. they can be found up to 600ft deep. Could that be it? Could he be bleaching?

If it's a definite scrape or abrasion, if he's eating normally, I would leave him alone. think of it like this...if he lived in the ocean, he'd probably have more than one abrasion from fending off an attacker. They have an immune system to deal with it.

I just think you could do more harm than good if you stressed him by pulling him out of the tank.

There are scales missing, so its definitely an abrasion of some sort. The tank is usually fed twice a day(when I get home from work about 4, and again about 9:30 PMO. I alternate off between several things, a frozen food made by a local reefer, which has a little bit of just about everything in it, frozen mysis (mostly for the Anthias, seems to be one of the few things he will consistently eat) I also occasionally mix in some Prime Reef or Formula Two, as well as New Spectrum Marine Pellets.

Back