Need Peppermint shrimp info

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
Ok so I have a 30 gallon tank, and I have this one little abstasia that I can't kill, so I was thinking about getting a peppermint shrimp. But I also already have a cleaner shrimp in my tank. Will they get along? Does anyone have any experience with these guys and abstasias?

They will get along fine. But you will need more than one peppermint, since there's no guarantee it will eat it. I would get 2 or 3.

Regarding Peppermints and the cleaner shrimp:
If it is a Skunk Cleaner shrimp, then they should get along.

Regarding the aiptasia, there are some peppermint shrimps that do not like aiptasia for some reason. It is just a matter of being lucky and getting one that will actually eat it.

Also if you are not familiar with peppermint shrimps, I suggest that you search the internet for their pictures and make sure you recognize their features.
Sometimes they get confused with Camel Shrimps. If you end up getting those, then they will most likely never touch aiptasia.

Regarding Peppermints and the cleaner shrimp:
If it is a Skunk Cleaner shrimp, then they should get along.

Regarding the aiptasia, there are some peppermint shrimps that do not like aiptasia for some reason. It is just a matter of being lucky and getting one that will actually eat it.

Also if you are not familiar with peppermint shrimps, I suggest that you search the internet for their pictures and make sure you recognize their features.
Sometimes they get confused with Camel Shrimps. If you end up getting those, then they will most likely never touch aiptasia.

Yea, its a skunk cleaner.

Are these guys "reef safe"? I've read that they are, but I just put 2 in my tank earlier, and one of them is right on the base of the frogspawn and its all closed up. I was reading some peoples post on other forums about how they had peppermint shrimp irritating/killing corals?

ive heard a few stories of peppermint shrimp doing damage to corals, but its been the rare exception that has done this. I would guess that your shrimp is cleaning up something that is on the base, rather than going after the coral. If he continues to irritate the coral, then you might have issues.

Sometimes people are mistakenly sold camel shrimp instead of peppermint shrimp. They look very similar and camel shrimp are predators. Good pics of both to compare to make sure what you got were actually peps.

Looks like they did the job! I put the plug of polyps that had the apstasia outside their little cave and i just looked and the aipstasia is gone

Back