need quick answer please

Toolman

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH
Just found a floter in my 29 gallon don't know when it happned but he was a bit chewed. Did a 5 gallon water change Saturday.should I dump another 3 Gallons today or wait till tomorow?

Yeah, get a test kit for ammonia and nitrite. Check your salinity (hopefully you have a refractometer, since a swing arm tester might not be accurate). Any other fish in there? If he's chewed, maybe you have mantis or some other predator that's been hiding the whole time.

Nitrate then get to the store and get yourself a COMPLETE test kit.
please give names of test kits I have an API Reef Master Test Kit. I am tired of being told that if amoina was high everything would be dead and questions like how do the corals look and how are the fish doing are dumb. I agree with all of you I want numbers so some ideas please of kits would be great. Will these numbers kill Biffs cheato? If that stuff dies it can wipe out a tank also right? If I loose them all again i quit. BTW along with the water change Saturday I did a major clean out i.e. pumps, sumps and chambers too much? Thanks to all who responded.
Ted

Last edited:
Yeah, get a test kit for ammonia and nitrite. Check your salinity (hopefully you have a refractometer, since a swing arm tester might not be accurate). Any other fish in there? If he's chewed, maybe you have mantis or some other predator that's been hiding the whole time.

1.023 on my refractometer usually run at 1.026

Having elevated levels will not kill the Bulletproof Biff's Chaeto! No worries there. ;)

You do need an ammonia and nitrite test kit. Those can spike following a fish death, and those are what are toxic to the other animals. If they are elevated, then water changes will take care of it.

Also, with the purchase of a more complete test kit, you might want to consider logging your test results ( if you're not already doing it ). Patterns over time can be surprisingly insightful, IMO.

I dont think you got anything to worry about IMO.

Did a 3 .5 gallon water change today at 7:30 it's now 2:30 and nitrate still at 20 I also check the PO4 it's at 0.0 is this normal or am I now chasing my tail? I also ordered the API 401 master test kit. Should I do another change tomorow?

Back