need quick answer please

Water changes wouldn't hurt...but are you worried about the ammonia? Or are you worried about what might have killed the fish? Was your fish sick, or was it one of those "out of nowhere" kind of deaths?

Water changes wouldn't hurt...but are you worried about the ammonia? Or are you worried about what might have killed the fish? Was your fish sick, or was it one of those "out of nowhere" kind of deaths?

Was kind of like a here today gone tomorow I remember seeing it on Saturday when I did the major cleaning and I don't remember if I saw him Sunday or Monday Found him Tuesday but I think the CUC got to him by the way he looked I went through a die off before and recovered and there have been no problems what bought it to my attention (other then the floter) was my Torch was shrinking. so I did not know if it was not happy with the flo or I stured something up when I did the clean up. I ordered the master test kit and will pick it up Friday I just don't know if I continue to do water changes how many can I do before I start taking good stuff out.

TOOLMAN, what do you have in that tank??????

What else did you loose or what else is looking bad? Corals and fish? What color(s) is your sand? How do your rocks look?

I think you've got this tank overstocked, that's why you won't answer?????? Can't help if you're only going to give us half the information!

Can you take a FTS?

C

TOOLMAN, what do you have in that tank??????

What else did you loose or what else is looking bad? Corals and fish? What color(s) is your sand? How do your rocks look?

I think you've got this tank overstocked, that's why you won't answer?????? Can't help if you're only going to give us half the information!

Can you take a FTS?

C

2,fire fish.diamond gobie and a Falcos hawkfish. Rocks are pink and purple as well as the back wall of the tank the sand is white with pink . I am an auto mechnaic so I keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible and come in on weekends for cleaning and changes. FTS ?

Last edited:
Also, with the purchase of a more complete test kit, you might want to consider logging your test results ( if you're not already doing it ). Patterns over time can be surprisingly insightful, IMO.

Hrmm, thats a good idea with logging the test results.

thanks for the idea. Wonder what ill find there

How's this?

Attachments

• IM000203.JPG
    IM000203.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IM000203a.JPG
    IM000203a.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IM000211.jpg
    IM000211.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IM000213.JPG
    IM000213.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
:bowdown: Toolman, you rock :bowdown:

Good for you, you told me! I love it when I'm wrong.

So, I'm looking at your tank and I can't tell how you're cleaning it. It looks really great! Love your rock stack and your corals. When I had my 28 gallon bow-front as my main tank I had 2 firefish and a clown. I was always fighting nitrates. Here's what I tried. I had a HOB filter, a red-prizm skimmer way more live rock than you've got and the sand. My sand was live to start with and had been seeded with GARF wondermud and IPSF goodies. Still, I was always fighting nitrates. When I moved the fish out and got the ponies, I still had nitrates. I got the nitrate sponge, added tons of macro and still had trouble. It seemed like no matter what I did, I had nitrate issues. When I moved my 28 gallon I pulled all the Live Rock out, drained the water and left the sand and about an inch of water in the tank. I got the whole thing down into my studio and realized that my sand REEKED. Not only did it reek, it stunk up my whole house. I replaced the sand and used the old water and live rock. Right now, the 28 gallon has no HOB filter, the same live rock, new sand and no macro. It also has NO nitrate problem! I've got one firefish and one clown. I change 5 gallons each week on Sundays. I think there was something up with my sand which is why I had the nitrate problems. I think I was headed to a tank crash and by moving it and changing that sand saved it. I don't know if this helps you, just thought I would tell you my experience. Instant ocean is making a nitrate reducer that I was thinking about back when I had my nitrate issues: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean-Aquarium-Natural-Nitrate-Reducer/dp/B002YO4KOC]Amazon.com: NATURAL NITRATE REDUCER 250ML: Electronics[/ame] I haven't used it, don't know anyone that has used it and don't like the idea of using chemicals in my tank but at the time I was desperate to get my numbers in line. I don't know if it would have fixed my problem or if it would have masked the sand issue and made everything worse.

From your tank list, I think you've got too many fish. I don't know, I'm not good at that sort of thing. Maybe someone else will be able to comment on that. I looked up your Falco Hawkfish. Here's what it says on liveaquaria.com.

"A 30 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of hiding places is acceptable for this hardy and aggressive fish. It should not be kept with larger more aggressive hawkfish. Although it eats small fish and shrimp, with caution, it can make an excellent reef inhabitant."

Maybe yours is more on the aggressive side? Could he have caused the damage to your wrasse? You haven't lost any more fish? No signs of parasites or ick? My best guess about your loss is that the hawkfish got him. If everyone else is looking ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that it seems like you don't have much moving water around. My horses don't like water movement and I had 4 koralia and a HOB filter moving my water. Also, I had a wall of bubbles in the back which helped with oxygenation and my ponies like bubble massages. I don't know how much is correct so maybe someone else should comment on that too.

I hope this helps, Toolman,
Catherine

Looks like the Nitrates are starting to drop LFS has not have test kit in yet for the rest of the tests :grumble: I picked up instant ocean Natural Nitrate Reducer ever hear of it? Someone also told me about Vodka doseing is that like one shot for the tank and two shots for me?
Thanks to all

Instant ocean is making a nitrate reducer that I was thinking about back when I had my nitrate issues: Amazon.com: NATURAL NITRATE REDUCER 250ML: Electronics I haven't used it, don't know anyone that has used it and don't like the idea of using chemicals in my tank but at the time I was desperate to get my numbers in line. I don't know if it would have fixed my problem or if it would have masked the sand issue and made everything worse.

She sure did!!!
Catherine sometimes people just don't hear you. :lol: :grumble: :frustrat:

Sorry Catherine you did I guess the memory is the second thing to go :mrgreen: What about the vodka? Absolute or Ketel One ?

Back