Need some advice and input.

DVH

Reefing newb
I'll try to not be to long winded on this thread, but i would be greatly appreciative of any advice and criticism. I just want to do this right. Let me give a run down with what i have. 75 gal room divide setup, made the stand custom(i should have done a little research on filtration and sump dimensions first:grumble:) Since i did'nt leave enough room for a refugium underneath, i've converted my wet dry into a sump. In the sump i have a aqua c ev120 skimmer, and a next reef smr1 reactor with ecobak ulns pellets. my parameters are great and have'nt had any issues. My only problem has been inconsistent PH, about every 3rd day i have to add a buffer to bring it back up to 8.4 from as low as 7.8, and i can't get my calcium up past 360. I have 9 fish and 6-7 corals. My passion is corals. I have 3 stonys (1 sps stylopora and 2 lps frog spawn, and a cup coral) the rest are softies. Since im using the reactor (which contains probiotic media) am i making the water to nutrient free for the softies, no issues so far with them, but can i have the best of both worlds. Stonies and Softies living in harmony? By the way my lighting consist of 2 t5 fixures on each side with an LED running down the middle. Tanks been up for 5 1/2 months and iv'e had good coral growth. Thanks in advance, would appreciate all advice.:D P.S. will post pics asap.

Sorry. pacific blue tang, yellow tang, 3 blue green cromis, pair of true percula's, royal gramma, and a lawnmower blenny.

I will be the nice one here bud, check these links out:

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Tang - Hawaii

Well thats two little slices of advice, you cant have tangs in a 75. I dont know if that was your choice or someone told you it was ok, but those fish are not suited for a tank that small. You'll either need to upgrade soon, or take them back to a LFS.
As for the other fish they are all ok, but at the moment, not only are you overstocked, but you have two fish that are meant to have alot of space to swim, especially the Blue tang, 180 gallons they need.
Im suprised nobody has reigned shit hell fire on you yet, but take to that advice, either upgrade or give them to your fish store.

The yellow tang will be ok in the 75, the blue will definitely get too big.

As for your pH, 7.8 is totally fine you don't need to buffer it (a stable pH is more important then a high constantly fluctuating one). What's your alkalinity and magnesium levels at? They are directly related to your calcium level and keeping it up.

What's your exact lighting setup? That will be very important to how well your SPS corals do in your tank. It's very possible to keep both stony and soft corals in your tank, most people do it. You just need to balance the needs for both.

+ 1 to every thing Brian Said.

Start testing Alk/Ca//Mag together to keep your corals happy. You could be real low on Alk and that would make since. If thats the case just start buffing Alk up each day till it reaches good levels and the rest will follow suit.

First off, my apologies i have'nt responded in a week, issues came up that did'nt allow me the time to come on here. First to Waddi... I am aware that the blue tang is going to need a new home soon. That is being worked on at the moment, looking into 2 more tanks, 150 gal and 225 gal. To bl1. my alk is at 11. do not have a mag. test kit yet. My lights are 2 t5's on the outside and a reef ready led down the middle(the tank is set up as a room divide style) i'm having no problem with growth, my softs and lps's are flourishing, my stylopora i've had 2 weeks and seems fine. To smitty i have no lid on the tank(and i have'nt had any fish suicide:D). To wonton.. i was testing in the morning then read somewhere that it's better at night. so i've been doing that for the past month.

I was just reading a thread talking about how long to have the lights on . could that cause an issue with ph? There on 12hrs a day.

Naww, that shouldn't be an issue at all...my lights are also on for 12 hrs a day...I do know that having a refugium with micro algae on an opposite lighting schedule will help keep the ph a lil more stable.

Back