Need some advice on Lighting

fyretr7

Reefing newb
Hey guys,
I'm sure this same question has been asked a 1000 times before but I'm a bit anal about things and want this done right the 1st time.My 130 is like 22 " deep at water level.The canopy I got with it had 3 metal hallides spaced across the top and 2 60' HO lights on either side.I have the outlets for 2 more ho lights and the ballast.Here is my query.I will keep the metal halides in case I decide to really go into this "big time".If I were to buy the VHO's in 140 watt and add the 2 other ones do you think it would be enough lighting to start out my reef tank with?I will probably start out with mostly softieswith possibly a few sps high in the tank.Thinking of actually making 2 distinctly different live rock reefs on each side with mid-water bridging with swim-thrus in middle.I have seen a cpl tanks set up like this that really looked awesome.I am mounting all the canopy hardware back on after refinishing the outside and lining the inside with formica for splash protection.Would appreciate your comments good or bad on the lighting and any recomendations you can give me....................Dutch ps if i do the 140 watt 60' VHO bulbs im looking at around 460 watts total in just ho bulbs.

maybe i missed something when i was reading, that, but am i reading that your thinking about changing the bulbs that you have that are HO to VHO bulbs? you can do that but i believe you will also need to replace that balast, wouldn't you?

I don't think so.I actually have 2 ballasts.From what I have read they may actually Overdrive normal Ho's.I also have a 660 which says will handle 2 large lights or 4 48" bulbs.The M/H all have individual ballast for each 250 watt bulb.The ballast I have are all icecap electronics for the ho lights.....Dutch

According to the literature they will fire 4 bulbs in any length as long as they dont exceed 440 watts so if you go by the info I'm reading it will actually overdrive 4- 48" bulbs if I understand this right.Like I said before I'm kinda at the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to "reef" aquariums.Also the ballast says it will drive normal,ho,and vho bulbs as long as you dont exceed that 440 volts.Am I understanding this right?..............................................Dutch

I have to run 2 160 watt bulbs on a ballast. I have 4 bulbs and 2 ballast. I run a VHO system. I think it`s the 440 watts you cant surpass right? Where`s Larry the lighting Guru.

I'll let somebody else handle the electrical part.
This is just my oppinion,But I'd hook those halides up and burn em.That way you know for a fact theres enough light for what ever you decide to keep.

Lol Yote I like the way you think.Truth is that's most likely what I'll wind up doing in the 1st place.I have 2 timer outlet strips and it may look like Christmas till I get it all figured out,but eventually I'll get it.BTW one of my drivers here at the station is avid bow hunter,he's a "ball's to the wall's" type too.Just the way I like em when they work for me...........................Dutch

He's bound to be a great guy to work with being as he's a bow hunter:D
If y'all will set me up with some of that Texas gulf coast fishin and huntin,I'll make a trip and help with the tank.I know how to get to Beaumont.:mrgreen:

Back