Need some controller and cover advice please

bradleyheathhays

Reefing newb
I'm setting up this 125 gal FW (first tank ever) and I'm bouncing around the idea of an Apex Jr. controller and what all equipment I want to put together with it. This is what I'm envisioning... A Neptune Apex Jr. controlling a main light module (a BMLED 6300K high intensity), a moonlight, a heater, 2 canister filters (into 1 outlet), and auto feeder. Everything would be plugged into the main control unit except the feeder which can just be plugged into a regular non-controlled outlet (I think anyway). From what I can tell controller acts on the feeder through a signal cord rather than the power cord.

Because this is my first tank I'm wondering if I've left anything out of my controller/equipment plan. Like is there another aquarium function I haven't thought of automating that I need to consider? Being my current plan uses up all 4 controlled outlets on the Apex Jr., if there is something I haven't thought of yet I might need to get an additional outlet unit when I make the order for it.

Also, my tank is a braced Aqueon with the 3 openings in the top.. I'm about to order the glass hinged tops I'll need for covers and to my surprise these things are gonna cost like right at $150. The covers are nice with the rear section being plastic so you can make cutouts for equipment, and the front portion being hinged for easy tank access. But surely there's got to be a cheaper quality option out there. Surely someone else makes something like this that aren't $50 apiece.

Thanks, I'm all ears.

First off, this is a saltwater website. But to answer what I can, that sounds fine. You will probably need a couple circulation pumps for a tank that large, though. And unfortunately, those glass covers are expensive. But you can go to a glass shop and have them cut plate glass to fit fir cheap, but it wont be hinged or have the plastic. However, I know that I have a local LFS that carries all sizes of hinges, handles and that lice of plastic for the back, so you might check if anyone in your area does, also. Otherwise, the other option is those cheap black plastic hoods and I think they're ugly.

Good luck and hopefully I helped somewhat.

Back