Need some help with a 24 gallon biocube

sps

Reefing newb
Hi, I have a friend setting up a 25g bio. He wants to set it up as a reef. I need any and all suggestions on filtration, lighting and possibly skimmer in the future. I will be giving him some of my live sand and rock to get him cycled quickly. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Rob.

IMO he won't need anything as far as filtration goes, weekly water changes will be enough. In my nano, I use filter floss in the top chamber just to collect debris but, it needs to be changed out fairly often. If it were me I wouldn't worry about a skimmer I've never needed one to keep my water params good. And lighting he's stuck with what the cube comes with unless he plans on upgrading the hood or removing it completely and hanging a light.

Thanks for that info. Is the pump strong enough or should it be upgraded? Should he add a small power head?

The stock pump will be ok. He can change it out to either a maxijet1200 or a mini hydor pump, the hydor only uses 7w which I really like.

Right on. Any other suggestions would be great if anyone can think of anything else. I am just familiar with large systems so this will be a nice challenge for me. Oh, anyone run a reef capable led on theirs? I know reef capable is a loose term but I think there are some systems that are acceptable for bio cubes.

Incredible link, BL1. All the info I could ever need to help my friend. I am going to get him to sign up here also. Thanks for the help.

Brian has you covered.
And long time no see Rob, hope your doing good!!
Doing well. I have a lot of updates on my DT. I will post this week. Unfortunately I have a HUGE anemone and he got diced by the mp40. That foam cover for the mp40 fell off and the result was sushi anemone.

Back