Need some help with my canister filter

Nedim

Reefing newb
Ive got a Magnum 350 just sitting in my closet because I cant figure out whats wrong with it. I got it a few months ago and only used it once for my freshwater tank. The water was crystal clear. Then, I did a water change and naturally had to unplug the filter. When I went to restart it, it was like there was no suction. I just tried to fix it a minute ago and I cant figure out whats wrong with it. When I turn it on (full of water) nothing comes in through the intake hose. The canister empties itself and no water is being drawn in. Its driving me mad :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat:

Any thoughts???

Did you check the intake for any debris, and did you open it back up and check to see if all the bushins are in the right place.

Kudos on the quick reply

I checked the intake, opened it up, took out the motor and checked for debris.

Nothing.

Could that be it? I dont know if the seals were tight.

Let me try that and Ill get right back to you.

Thanks

There has to be somthing out of place because its pumping water out so it is working just somthings not right. I have one of these filters and have never had any problems, also when you turn it on full try squeezing the outtake that way water cant get pushed out and maybe a siphon will start I have to do this every now and then.

Ya sometimes the seals will fall and you will lose your suction. Sorry maybe tigh was the wrong word to use, I meant in place and hav'nt fallen out of place when you flip the top over to put it on.

I just tested it again and I think youre right. I poured water manually through the intake hose and nearly all of it seeped through where the nozzle connects to the hose. I think thats the problem. I gotta buy some more hose in the morning if Home Depot is open, so I can actually test it on my tank.

Thanks a million for the help, I appreciate it

With my Magnum HOT, you had to fill it by hand before you start it, then put the lid on, then start it. It will not draw in water unless it is already filled.

The magnum needs to be below the watter line, you need to start a shiphon into the canister from the return line end. once shiphon starts let fill until done. put return in place at tank and start up filter. just one more way to do it i guess. good luck let us know if you get it going or not.

Hi,
Most of the magnums come with a clamp at the hose, I uses stainless steel radiator clamps cause I have them, if air is being pulled in the pump it will leak.
The lid (O) ring placement is critical or you will leak not a good thing if the filter is lower than the tank...flooding yikes.. another problem is if some of that subtrate gets loose the impeller will jam on the carbon, subtrate and what ever. I have found a way to cut pieces of filter material in the shape of the rubber seals and use them to help hold it all together the lid o ring last a long time those rubber washer about 6mos, so I use them for cutting that blue filter pad in too a washer cheap and works.

Another problem I have had in saltwater is sand kills the impeller rather quickly arrrrggggghhh, :frustrat: :frustrat: ever hear of sand-paper...
Doug

Boy I dont know if its me or what, but, ive lost track of your question. The magnum will not work properly if the filter is not lower than the water collum. Ive got three of um im using as mechanical filters in the sump room and the feed is from the bottom of the sump and the return is back to the top of the sump, see my photo gallery. let me know if I can be of any further assistance. good luck.

Back