need some input on a setup

fixpc

Reefing newb
Hello all,
I need some advice I hope that you can help me. I had a saltwater tank 55 gallons with 20 gallon sump the main tank had a 4 inch sandbed. On the bottom of the tank I had a pump running to PCV pipe that would circulate the water in the tank also had 100 pounds of live rock I had a overflow that would send water to the sump. In the sump I had a protein skimmer, some live rock, my heaters some plants a filter sock and that's it. About three months ago my house flooded we had over 5 feet of water came into the house the water got into the sump and killed all the fish and coral So I have to start all over again. The sump that I made for the original setup is now too large for the new cabinet I bought so using it is really not an option anymore, I would have to make a new sump or purchase a already made one. I don't have a lot of money to redo this tank, willing to spend a little to make right time is not a problem.

[FONT=&quot]Rebuilding my tank I want to try some new stuff I'm thinking about going with a hang on Refugium with a built-in protein skimmer Im going to reuse my live rocks which are known not live anymore and hope in time it will become live again by adding some live rubble. Looking to go to a 1 inch sand bed just of looks and probably some small pumps in the main tank for movement. . would this be enough filtration or will I need more? One of the main problems I had with my original tank was enormous water evaporation I would go through over 5 gallons of water a week to fix this I was thinking about putting acrylic sheets of plastic over the top of the tank I don't know if this is going to interfere with the light. I figure removing the sump will help with water evaporation too. From the old set up I have a good protein skimmer the 55 gallon tank the rocks I have about 40 pounds new sand my heaters and My 48” t5 lights what im looking to buy is a 24’’ hang on Refugium ,240g pump and 18 inch light for the Refugium. I figure I could put some filter media and it please let me know if going the right way with this. Also my new setup it's mostly going to be coral and some very small fish, snails and maybe crab or two. It should be A very low bio load for a 50 gallon tank. This is one of the reasons why wanted to use the refugium so I can breed [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ5W04oh390"]Copepods In Refugium[/ame]. I would like to make the setup in a way that I don't have to add too much outside food.[/FONT]

Re-using your rock is fine. I would use a piece or two of of established rock to seed the rock you have though, instead of the rubble. I'd look on craigslist or get with a local club. I've seen live rock listed for as little as $1-2 a pound locally here, by people looking to get out of the hobby. One or two pieces of new live rock will seed your other rock making it live in no time.

While I would prefer to have the refugium in the tank stand, there is nothing wrong with using one of the types that hang on the back- and a hang on the back skimmer is also a decent option

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Sorry to hear about your tank crash. Your ideas sound great, and northstar has you covered.

Hello and Welcome!

The boys have you covered, however you shouldnt cover your tank. Dealing with evaporation is just a part of this hobby. When you cover your tank, not only do you restrict light, but you also restrict gas exchange - which can be very harmful to corals and fish. Also the top will hold in heat.

Last edited:
Back