Need stocking ideas 150 gallon restocking

kmart189

Reefing newb
So I just moved my tank and lost my lion fish in the move, but was planning on getting rid of him eventually anyway and I took my grouper in the fish store prior to the move. Well now I am going to turn my 150 gallon into a reef tank setup and need fish ideas mostly lps corals. I am thinking a powder blue tang, flame angel, maybe some chromis or cardinals for schooling (any other schooling ideas), and a yellow watchman goby, well I need more fish than that since they are pretty small minus the powder blue.

For schooling, a group of anthias is the best fish you can go for! There are so many types, and they are really pretty. Much cooler than boring cardinals. What kind of lights do you have for the tank? That will dictate which corals you can keep happy.

Last edited:
I currently have a galaxia, a few branching frogspawn, varying zoas, flower pot (I know bad decision), and a green toadstool. Under medal halide. I am primarily looking for fish ideas though, but coral ideas are okay too. I just want to be able to keep a wide variety of things I had all aggressive fish before and am entering the peaceful reef safe side now. I will probably eventually do a mandarin dragonet eventually too once the tank settles down from the move and die off.

Leopard wrasse is my favorite fish ever.

SplendidLeopardWrasseWMW_Ap8SW.jpg

For a tank that size, you need at least a few tangs. Maybe some of the more unique ones, not yellow or hippos that you see all the time?

Leopard wrasse is my favorite fish ever.

For a tank that size, you need at least a few tangs. Maybe some of the more unique ones, not yellow or hippos that you see all the time?

Don't listen to her...everyone knows shes crazy....I didn't like Yellow Tangs either until I bought one...He's a great fish, with great color.....God I hope she doesn't read this.:D

Don't get a Hippo...They look a little mentally challenged to me.:mrgreen:

+1 PRC
I can't tell you how many "favorite" fish I have read about that Biff's had.
Blah, blah, blah.

Let's see. There was Jill, and that Pink Trigger, oh and.........

:mrgreen:

+1 on the naso,get a blonde if you do....
In a 150 your going to want a nice big fish or 2 with flowing fins...A flame may or my not nip,but if you really want an angel i'd get a large instead of a dwarf..

Hahaha. +1 on the hippo.
What about a Naso? Or one of the smaller bristletooths? Like a Kole?

anthias are gorgeous, I love mine. once established they're quite hardy.

Naso is the best tang EVER. they have some very personable behaviors. Mine would spit water at me to let me know it's dinner time, and every time I put my hand in the tank he came over to be petted. Not kidding. More like a dog with scales than a fish. :)

Back