need suggestions for a new 10 gal tank

Glandrau12

Reefing newb
Hello, i've recently set up a 10 gallon tank (it's only been about 4 days). it currently has a heater, about 8 pounds (more on the way) of live rock and a cascade 100 power filter. (will be getting live sand in a few days). the hood was missing the light bulbs ans yesterday a friend got me two small 10watt full spectrum fluorescent bulbs. Is this okay? I'm not very knowledgeable as to what kind of bulbs i should be getting. i know it depends on what kind of livestock the tank will contain. for now, after the tank has finished cycling, i'll be adding a small spotted green puffer from my 20 gal tank. he's started to nip at the other fish i would have liked to make it into a small reef tank, but i dont think my puffer is very reef safe. Oh, i was told that the filter is suitable enough for a small 10 gal tank, is this accurate? i'll most likely be getting a power head to help with water circulation. Any suggestions are appreciated. :D

That should be enough filtration...once you get enough live rock in there, you probably won't need the filter, seeing how the rock will be the primary source of filtration along with the sand...

+1 smitty.

Also, you'll need a small powerhead.

I hope you're planning upgrade :shock: I think puffers need at least a 30g. Should be fine if it's small, but you may want to consider upgrading eventually....and a scopas tang in a 20g??? I hear the TANG POLICE!

thanks guys. :) i will be upgrading soon, it's just going to be temporary until i get my other tank. (150gal i already 'have' it, i just dont have it with me:grumble:) The problem is that my 20 gal has too many fish in it. it feels over crowded and my puffer is becoming stressed and nipping at my two percula clowns. their fins are abit torn. :( i wouldnt have had a problem except that my dad decided to add a banggai cardinal to the tank (3 1/2 inches long) without even asking me about it. i woke up one morning and there he was. and my dad wont take it back, ugh. should i move the clowns instead until i get my other tank? they're pretty small. still juveniles.

The clowns would do fine in a 10 gallon, I would think, as long as it's temporary. I'm no sure how hardy puffers are. I've never had one :)

Back