Need to know these guys

Haha I guess. There's a lot of weird superstitions about Arowanas.

"As per the feng shui belief Arowanas are believed to possess capabilities to distinguish between an enemy and a well-wisher. It is believed that if the arowana in the aquarium shows aggression toward the visitor to house, he is an enemy; and if the fish remains calm, the visitor is a well-wisher."

I practically grew up with this in the back of my mind lol. My uncle kept about five of them in a 300Gallon he built into his wall when I was a kid. Each were about a foot and a half long and could sell for almost a grand. Dad always wanted them but opted for NW Cichlids instead.
I almost picked one up for $200 a few months back but decided to stick with the SW hobby instead....for now.:mrgreen:
Reefs are awesome and interesting but in a few years..ill definitely be keeping an arowana tank. Theyre my all-time favorite fish. Freshwater or Salt.:Cheers:

whitesilver.jpg

65995.jpg

Gold%20Arowana.jpg

Super+Red+Arowana.png

mainphoto_shop.jpg

malaysia-arowana0002.jpg

I know this is in completely the wrong section but just had to share my obsession with this fish. (Not sure if the last one's natural or not..) All the other pics are though! The cooler ones you can only buy in parts of Asia and it's illegal to import them to the states. I read an article not too long about some guy trying to sneak a suitcase of them over and getting sent to prison along with enough fines to last him a lifetime lol.

My old roomate and I were thinking about sneaking a pair over from Hong Kong in about a decade when we (hopefully) have our own places. (When the time comes I'm gonna delete this little comment lol)

Last edited:
I raised an arowanna from about two inches up to 21 inches. I had him and a six pound red tail catfish in a 190 gallon tank. I loved those fish. One morning i woke up and found he had broke the glass top off the tank. He split it at the seem.so i just set it back on the tank loose. Two mornings later I found him lyeing on the carpet next to the glass top piece he had broke. I do miss those fish!
But we are on living reefs. So i have to say i love my saltwater just as much.

Back