Need to stop hosting

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Wasn't sure what forum to through this in, but this post involves coral so BAM!... coral thread.

We all know clowns are foolish fish and host pretty much ANYTHING! My question is: has anyone taken measures that have worked to STOP clowns from hosting a coral??? Biff's deco. pics of her elegance have me reminiscing about what my elegance looked like before my clowns started hosting it at night. Since then it never expands, it stays shriveled. I don't believe it to be the dreaded "elegance disease" because it has no signs of such. I believe they are beating it to death and I'm on a mission stop this harassment. I know many people haven't done anything to this measure, but if you have any suggestions that'd be sweet. I'm putting the top of a 1 liter bottle over it tonight, and intend on doing so night after night unless it shows negative effects. Thanks, Evan out!

I hope it works for you, that's why I don't have clowns in my tank at this time, because I'm afraid they'll kill one of my corals. In my last tank, my clowns killed my duncan colony. So I wish you luck, the bottle trick may just work, because just moving the coral will not.

Maybe if you move it that'll throw them off. My clown has started rubbing his balls all over my Duncans. Pisses me off too.

My damn clown sticks his face in my frog spawn atleast once a day. Doesnt open much any more. But since I got an open brain, he actually sleeps in that at night. Since the brain isnt as billowy I guess you could say, It doesnt seem to effect hat guy much at all.

Good luck on your clown rehab.

i hate clowns and theyre hosting tendencies...
mine has hosted a clam, a rock, frogspawn, a single shroom, xenia breifly... and now hes hosting the mushroom colony in my pico.

I'm not sure there's much you can do, besides moving the coral to the other side of the tank and hoping that the clowns don't follow.

Some people have tried those mesh strawberry baskets over the coral, but I don't think that's a long term solution.

Maybe adding in something else (like hairy mushrooms) and hoping that they will switch to it.

I'm not sure there's much you can do, besides moving the coral to the other side of the tank and hoping that the clowns don't follow.

Some people have tried those mesh strawberry baskets over the coral, but I don't think that's a long term solution.

Maybe adding in something else (like hairy mushrooms) and hoping that they will switch to it.

I have 2 large purple tipped shrooms that they host as well, they're ALL over my tank hosting EVERYTHING. They don't seem to bother anything else. It's been 1 night and it looks MUCH better, extending and taking form. I'm going to keep at it each night. If it continues to work I may cover some other things in hopes they find my BTA, which I purposely bought for them to host.

In the wild clowns "host" anemones for protection. But, in our tanks they can end up hosting just about anything. Here's a vid of a baby clown hosting an anemone.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHhJy4vrf0]YouTube - Baby clown fish, nemo, hosting bubble tip anemone[/ame]

Some corals are every sensitive and clowns can be extremely rough when hosting. It can cause the coral to not open up and/or eventually die because of it.

Back