Need To Vent!!!!!!!!

Every body dogs the prizim, and told me to take it back So before I used it I tried to take it back to get the coralife super skimmer, but the lfs said no returns, so now I'm using it and like it alot.

Ok well a good skimmer will help thats for sure. I give prizms skimmers a .5 stars out of 10. The prizm Prom ones are a bit better, but people really should just save their money. Ok enough of me on my skimmer soap box.

After that you have to stop putting it into your tank. Read the ASH content on the flake food you're using the more ASH the more phosphate your adding. I don't use flake food period... frozen brine/mysis/rotifers and algea clips.

After that check your top off water it should be RO/DI and have 0 Phosphates.

If after all that make sure your salt mix doesn't have phosphates. Test the water before mixing it and after. Keep up on the bi weekly water changes I do a water change every other wednesday for 20% of my tank volume and honestly believe it has been the single most important thing I do.

Just some things to try... I think flake food might be what's getting you guys.

I feed 1 cube of mysis every night, no flake food whatsoever. I cut out the flakes a couple weeks ago, trying to reduce nitrates and phosphates. But I still have phosphates.

I use pellats not flakes, the ash is 10%. Is that alot? I have the delux with the surface skimmer and the media box. I know were the phos is coming from, its from the ro water. I have went to 6 sources now and all have 1.ppm.

Bifferwine said:
I feed 1 cube of mysis every night, no flake food whatsoever. I cut out the flakes a couple weeks ago, trying to reduce nitrates and phosphates. But I still have phosphates.

By the way any changes yet?

Nope of course not. I've come to the conclusion that there is no rational explanation for my phosphate levels. Now, I am a scientist, so it takes a lot for me to admit this: but I feel I must start looking to the metaphysical realm for an explanation, because apparently nothing on this planet explains my algae!

No, but seriously, I'm thinking it may take more than a couple weeks to start seeing a change from cutting out flakes and cutting the feedings in half. I'll do another water change tomorrow and see what's up then. The good news is my nitrates have been at 0 for over a month now. The bad news is my husband tells me I need to buy a trap for my two sally lightfoots, their aggression towards the fish is making him uneasy, and it's only gotten worse since I reduced the food load. I'm a little bit sentimental about it, "NO! They would never hurt one of the fish! They know better!". Yeah, I know. Duh.

10% is alot.. 0 is good :D

Biff if you stopped flake then you just aren't adding it into your tank anymore.. what are you doing to reduce the already present phos? Water Changes, Phosgaurd, Cheato, Calurpa, etc?

Bobby I think you just need a new test kit... have you tried a new one?

Brandon

No I can only find one at the lfs in a 60 mile radias. But my lfs that dosnt sell there water said they have a prob in this area this time of year and said they have changed there filters and still have the prob to. Wallet was stollen so when I get the new cards in I'll order a new one. I got the paper saying they will be here soon, so as soon as they do I'll get one. So 10% is alot? What brand and type do you reccomend?

All of the above. My fuge has two very large clumps of cheato. I have tried Phosgard, Phosban, those red phosphate pads, phosphate control liquid drops, a phosphate reactor, I used to do a 20% water change weekly, but recently I have cut back to 10%.

I still have phosphate in the tank (using a Salifert test), but it is definitely getting better -- last night I pruned more of my algae by hand and underneath the top layer it was all gray and powdery, so somehow it is starting to die off on its own quite a bit. It was not even necessary for me to grab the clumps and rip them off (like I usually have to do), they just sort of drifted off very easily. In fact, right now I have the least algae that I have seen in my tank in months. I had completely forgotten what my live rock looked like! So I am optimistic that my tank is FINALLY headed in the right direction.

Well I have a update. When I left for work today I turned my lights on, and when I got home 12 hours later I went to turn them off, and noticed the algae reduced considerably. It has not gone down that fast since I added macro a while ago. So am I getting my hopes up thinking its getting better, or is the algae just tricking me?

here is a link to the flake food i use by OSI but i only use it maybe every 2 or 3 days and it gets eaten no left over in tank, all frozen food mysis, brine, silversides, are omega one brand, dt's live plankton and oyster eggs

Flake Foods

At the urging of my husband (who thinks the poor little fishies are starving), I'm going to start feeding frozen twice a day now instead of once. I'll let you guys know if my algae comes back. No way am I going back to flakes or pellets though, what a difference since I cut those out!

Yup it was just tricking me, its back to the way it was today. I wounder what made it go down for the day? Also bought some fozen mysis cubes today, I hope that helps some.

Bifferwine said:
At the urging of my husband (who thinks the poor little fishies are starving), I'm going to start feeding frozen twice a day now instead of once. I'll let you guys know if my algae comes back. No way am I going back to flakes or pellets though, what a difference since I cut those out!

Your welcome. :mrgreen:

Back