Needing New T5 Bulbs...

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I'm going to buy new T5 bulbs for my 50 gallon. I run a Nova Extreme Pro (6 bulbs) on the aquarium, and am currently just running the stock bulbs that came with the fixture.

What brand of T5 would you all recommend? I had a reefer suggest both ATI and Giesemann bulbs to me; what are you all's opinion on either of these brands (and which is better)?

Also, I currently have three 10,000K daylights and three 420nm actinics, but was thinking about switching to 2 daylights and 4 blues (because the lighting is kind of strong for keeping softies currently); what do you all think? Would color/spectrum combination would you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have never used Giesemann bulbs, but I am currently using ATI bulbs and a KZ purple bulb. I like the look of it. (I have the 6 bulb Nova Extreme Pro as well). If I remember correctly, my bulbs are

- KZ purple
- ATI Blue Plus
- ATI Blue Plus
- ATI Aquablue Special
- KZ 10K
- KZ 10K

Do you all think six 39-watt T5s are too much for a 50 gallon (36" x 18" x 18")? I had a reefer suggest to me earlier today that it was too much light and maybe to only run 4 or 5 of the bulbs in the fixture instead of 6...

I don't think it's that bad, I'm running 2 250w MH and 4 54W T5s over a 75 and everything is doing fine in my tank.

I've never had to pick out T5 bulbs but, I know everyone recommends talking to the guys over at reefgeek, they can help you get the look you want in your tank (as far as bulbs go)

Gmann bulbs are decent but the ATI's put out more PAR.

+1 for ordering through Reefgeek! Ask for George and he will give you the best bulb combo! Goodluck!

P.S. hold onto your seat when u put the new bulbs in!

P.S. hold onto your seat when u put the new bulbs in!

I can't wait! (I contacted Reefgeek, and now I just have to make a decision on what to buy...) I've seen people posting how amazed they are when they switch up their bulbs - I'm hoping the new colors that I choose will blow me away!! :mrgreen:

Reefgeek recommended for me to get the following:

1. ATI Aqua Blue Plus (x3)
2. ATI Aqua Blue Special (x2)
3. ATI Purple Plus (x1)

This is also the same combo recommended by the ATI website for a 6-bulb fixture.

I have a question, though. Which bulb is the "daylight" bulb that ATI makes? Is it the Aqua Blue Special? I don't want my tank to look to blue....

Thanks.

It won't be to blue trust me Sam. Blue special is yer daytime bulb and it's extremely white. The purple plus isn't what it seems either. It gives off a purpleish/white hue. Your tank will NOT be too blue.....have u seen some of my newer pix?

It won't be to blue trust me Sam. Blue special is yer daytime bulb and it's extremely white. The purple plus isn't what it seems either. It gives off a purpleish/white hue. Your tank will NOT be too blue.....have u seen some of my newer pix?

Thanks! I just checked out your showcase thread, and I LOVE your new lights! Your corals and fish look amazing!

Here just for you blue plus on the ends......middle left purple plus...middle right is your daytime (blue special)

6e39a001.jpg

Yes it is....ver confussing. I...like you was like...... ummmm ok!? I just trusted him and ordered and couldnt be happier. Im excited again all over for you now lol.

Back