Nemos 75Gal

Nemo2010

Reefing newb
Ok so i bought the tank and stand for $75. Anyone who has read past threads knows i had a huge problem in the begining (Amonia lvls 300ppm) NASTY lol never could figure it out. Well i started all over from scratch. Here is a list of everything i am using along with links to the items. Please tell me what you guys think.

1. Tank 75gal with stand (Black)
2. 40lbs caribsea Arag-alive special grade reef sand caribsea your aragonite source and more!
3. Fluval Fx5 Filtration system. Aquatic products
4. 2 Aquarium heaters Aquatic products
5. Power head Aquatic products
6. Light is a 4 bulb T5HO lighting.

I have the output of the filter on one side of the tank and the power head on the other side so that i get better water movement. I AM NOT using any bio filter material inside the Fx5 as i want the the system to be as "Natural" as possible with the right invertibrates and such to create a bio filter.
I will be posting pics soon to follow progress of this system if anyone wants to see. Thanks to everyone for all your advice in setting this up. Its been a tough couple weeks with all the changes and such. Im glad i have patience as thats a HUGE part of setting up saltwater lol :)

Glad you started a buil thread Nemo:D

1. Tank 75gal with stand (Black)
2. 40lbs caribsea Arag-alive special grade reef sand caribsea your aragonite source and more!This is good
3. Fluval Fx5 Filtration system. Aquatic productsDitch this and get a good skimmer instead
4. 2 Aquarium heaters Aquatic products
5. Power head Aquatic productsGet a couple of Koralia #4s instead
6. Light is a 4 bulb T5HO lighting. If you plan on corals in the future,you'll need a fixture with at least 6 bulbs.

I hope that helps out some.

Awsome. I read a lot of reviews on canister and they said the canister would be fine but i would need a protein skimmer.. i guess its kind of a toss up. Why do you recomend 6 lights VS 4?

Protein skimmers and macro algae filter are more efficient and much easier to maintain than a canister. Trust me, people will bag on you for using canisters lol

+1 Yote....if you were planning on a skimmer anyway, just return the canister, and use that towards a good skimmer. I think a couple of reefers here are successfully using a canister, but they really keep up with its maintenance. The way I see it, it's just one more thing to really keep up with otherwise you'll have nitrate spikes.

Can't wait to see pics!!

i heard that instead of a macro algea filter i can use a UV sterilizer in line with the canister filter. People say that it works really well. what do you guys think of that.

That will help with parasites.But wont do squat for nitrates.
The problem with canisters,is they dont actually remove detritus and other waste from the water.They just trap it inside the media where it continues to break down,compromising water quality.Where a skimmer actually removes the waste along with dissolved organic matter from the water completely,where its can not compromise water quality.

UV sterilizers and macroalgae do two totally different things. UV sterilizers kill parasites and disease (and algae spores and anything else that passes through it -- including good bacteria, pods and food for your tank). Macroalgae remove nitrates and phosphates from the water. You can't substitute one for the other.

Glad to hear about your new tank, what kind of power head did you end up with? The link errored, I would be concerned about flow in a 75 with only 1 powerhead unless it was a vortech.

Back