Neptune Apex Controller?

Jordan

Reefing newb
I am in the process of building my 120g Marine Reef. I am running a Sump with a Reef Octopus Skimmer, Reefkeeper 48" LEDs, 2x 1500gph Hydor power heads. I am thinking I want a Neptune Apex controller with Ph/Temp/Salinity probes. What are your thoughts on that purchase?

If you have the money I will say that an Apex unit is a good purchase. The only thing I don't like about them is that they use Ethernet connection and I will prefer them to be wireless for the prize, but with the money I will buy one for sure.

I have an Apex - I use it to control just about everything. Personally I would go with Temp/PH/ORP probes. If you have an ATO - won't really have much issues with salinity especially with a 120g tank.

Some of the lighting units (like Kessil) have a built in interface with Apex.

Thanks all. Ordered it today. LFS convinced me not to get the salinity probe. The tank sits about 5 feet from my router so the wired aspect of it does not matter too much to me.

I don't have the salinity probe on mine. Just the temp and Ph probes. IMO you do not need a salinity probe if you have an ATO or on point with your top offs.

I don't have the salinity probe on mine. Just the temp and Ph probes. IMO you do not need a salinity probe if you have an ATO or on point with your top offs.
LFS said that in a 120g the salinity changes so infrequently and a properly calibrated refractometer is so quick and easy to use that the money is better spent on an ATO or something else. For ATO, I think I will be plumbing in a RO/DI (it should be a very simple 1 hour project) in my basement and running it into a "T" valve. One side of the T will go to a 32g collection vessel to mix salt water for water changes and the other side will run upstairs to the sump attached to a float valve. I already have the RO/DI unit so the cost of doing it this way, in my opinion, trumps buying an ATO.

An ato is one of the best things ever imo. I burn through 3-4 gallons a day with this cold winter. All your levels will be perfect with an ato and with a constant gives you optimal growth. The apex is a great decision once your tank is filled, thousands of dollars this 500 dollar investment saved me.

If you have an Apex....why wouldn't you just use the Apex Breakout box with float switches? I have been running this and works great....

If you have an Apex....why wouldn't you just use the Apex Breakout box with float switches? I have been running this and works great....
Because float switches have a bad habit of accumulating salt creep, snails, crabs.........., and thus have a much greater tendency to fail as opposed to the electronic optic eye that the Tunze uses. Plus the other safety features like a second switch to shut off the pump at a pre determined high water mark in the sump, and a shut off of the pump should it run longer than 10 minutes.

Because float switches have a bad habit of accumulating salt creep, snails, crabs.........., and thus have a much greater tendency to fail as opposed to the electronic optic eye that the Tunze uses. Plus the other safety features like a second switch to shut off the pump at a pre determined high water mark in the sump, and a shut off of the pump should it run longer than 10 minutes.

Sure optical is better than mechanical but everything you listed as options can be done with dual float switches, apex breakout, and apex. I placed my floats in pill bottles with holes and I have nothing that is interfering with the floats... Not only that but I can dose with my ATO and shutdown and alarm if pH is above my limits or use the defer and min settings to limit run times. I can also pull up graphs to see when and how long the ATO pumps are running.

Guess its all about options and trade offs.

Sure optical is better than mechanical but everything you listed as options can be done with dual float switches, apex breakout, and apex. I placed my floats in pill bottles with holes and I have nothing that is interfering with the floats... Not only that but I can dose with my ATO and shutdown and alarm if pH is above my limits or use the defer and min settings to limit run times. I can also pull up graphs to see when and how long the ATO pumps are running.

Guess its all about options and trade offs.
You can do all that with any ATO connected to the Apex. I can do that with my Tunze, or my jobs as long as it is plugged into my EB8. No break out box needed.

Exactly, so why spend 1 or 2 Benjamin's on some float switches. I can get a 8 pin MiniDin cable, terminal strip and any float switch I deem fit for my application. Can wire up to six. IMO, Flexibility at a huge cost savings.

Not everyone is a DIY guy. Those that are more power to em. But for myself, the availability of fail safe features far out weighs anything myself or any of my buddies could make up in the garageI

Last edited:
I guess I am a DIY'er. Here is the cable I made for controlling my Jebao WP-25's with the VDM module. I change flows throughout the day......

Attachments

• apex cable.jpg
    apex cable.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 426
Back