never keep food or suplements near the aquarium!!

RigoSharon

LIVING REEFS INTERN
i hope everyone learns from this this bad moment...i had a visit this weekend at my house...she came from DR..etc..well to make the long story short.. my wife was working so i went for a cool afternoon in my bike ..that person was looking at my tank..she though my fish was hungry and gave them some food....SHE GAVE THEM HALF OF MY CAN OF FLAKES....when i came home i sat in front of the tv resting shortly..when i looked at my tank..i almost had a hard attack..water was milky..all filters saturated of flakes...all live sand with like 1 cm of flakes..etc..i started to yell to her what happend etc ..she said she saw the fish hungry bla bla bla..(woman)...i gave my tank CPR..i had to clean all filters ...siphoned the sand..etc took my like 4 hours..by the way amonia was in the roof...all invertebrates were closed..fish were swiming so slowly.. i had to do a 50% waterchange...i didnt sleep that nigth..taking care of the aquarium...etc....thank god my aquarium recuperates 100%...i only lost a condy anemone due to amonia..everyting ellse is ok now....plese learn from these experience..now i store my fishfood and suplements were noone can reach them..to prevent some other accident..by the way that person was so embarassed i think shell never come back to visit hehheehhe!!!!:frustrat:

WOW!!!! Now that's a bummer!!! Hate to hear about your loss, but I'm glad that's all you lost!!! Defenitely will keep this in mind!!!

Sorry to hear it man, but atleast you were able to save the tank with only one cashualty. That sounds like a good lesson to me.

glad you noticed it soon enough to prevent further damage, once i get my canopy built it will have a lock, or im sure i would have things floating in the tank that shouldn't be.

Wow that's rude. I'd KILL anyone who came into my house and took it upon themselves to "take over" my pets without my permission.

Sorry about your misfortunes Rigo.The number one rule in my house is nobody,I mean absolutely nobody feed the tank without my supervision.My wife thinks I'm a fanatic and she's right.I think its time to put a sign on the tank that says "KEEP OUT.''My wife thinks she's slick,feed the fishes and I won't notice,thats one good reason for having Sun Corals,your always know when someone has fed the tank,the polyps come out.

Hate to hear that Rigo.
The only people around here that will even go close to my tanks are my youngest son and my daughter.But try to get them to hand you some fish food and watch what happens.They both run into the other room.
I cant say that i'd kill a visiter for bothering my tanks,BUT id sure make them wish I had killed them.

sory about what happened. glad to hear that all is back to normal. i have a topless tank and all my dry foods and additives are stored under the tank without any problem. my kids don't do anything to the tank besides looking/ admiring it.

Back