Never seen anything like it -ever.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by sen5241b, Jan 15, 2009.

1. sen5241b

sen5241b

I live in Arlington VA just 10 minutes from Washington DC and you cannot comprehend what is happening here on Monday and Tuesday. All inbound lanes of major highways going into the city, including rt 66 and 395 (6 lanes) are being shut down. All bridges going across the Potomac river are being closed. You can only walk across the Memorial bridge. Many secondary roads going toward the city like Washington Blvd are being shut down. On Washington Blvd you can always throw a stone to the next intersection and there is traffic light every quarter to half mile. If you live om Washington Blvd, you must get a special permit to drive on the road. One half million people have purchased bus tickets into Washington on Monday and Tuesday morning. It is estimated 10,000 buses will arrive in the city. Residents in DC are told to take there cars off the streets Monday and Tuesday so buses can park.

Contrary to popular belief, there are some hotel rooms left. The prices have come down from $600 for a room that is normally $99. Many people rented there 3 or 4 bedroom houses for upwards of 10K.

All doctors in the area were sent notices from the CDC on what symptoms to look for in the event of a biological attack.

Other stuff:

The Mall (stretch of open grass park between the Lincoln memorial and the Capitol)....is beautiful:
    -There are at least 2,000 porto potties on the Mall
    -chain link fencing and jersey Barricades are everywhere.
    -It has been advised that everyone metro between 4am-8am... there will be shovers to help pack the trains (like Tokyo).
    -Ticketed guests for the inauguration (those closest to the capital and on the steps) have been asked to arrive by 9AM and stand in the cold till 11:30 when events start... Everyone else can pull up a seat in front of the giant TVs and close to the porto potties. Public seating starts 3 blocks from the capital.
    -The Parade starts at 2PM and the parade route will be closed after 300,000 people enter the route.
    - 4 metro stops on the mall are closed all day.
    - free valet parking for bikes

Even though I voted for the guy --I'm staying at home.

sen5241b, Jan 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. sen5241b

dustin_P74

can you imagine what it is like for obama to know that all doctors in the city have been told what to look for and treat biological attack victims and to know that he had to have a car built especially for him to keep him alive and this car has doors that will lock like a vault door just to make sure he stays inside that "tank" at all times

dustin_P74, Jan 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. sen5241b

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

Its odd that the huge biological warfare fear is there, you would think that with The USA electing a man of color with some questions about his religious orientation(only the idiots BTW) that the world would look at us with different views. Who knows.

RyanG, Jan 15, 2009
  4. sen5241b

sen5241b

Idiots don't need good reasons to do what they do.

sen5241b, Jan 15, 2009
  5. sen5241b

dustin_P74

i dont think they are expecting it or even fearing but rather being prepared for it

dustin_P74, Jan 15, 2009
  6. sen5241b

Bifferwine I am a girl

My parents are renting out their empty (but furnished) house in Falls Church for $2000 a night.

Bifferwine, Jan 15, 2009
  7. sen5241b

Piggy

Obama will be in Baltimore on Saturday. They're expecting a huge crowd. Maryland alone spend 11 million dollar on the inauguration. They're sending the bill to the government. I believe I'll be staying home still not over my illlness. So I was told to stay inside.

Piggy, Jan 15, 2009
  8. sen5241b

JAG107

I can't remember, was it like this for W's election?

JAG107, Jan 15, 2009
  9. sen5241b

dustin_P74

in terms of cost, not even close. clinton was 33 million dollars, bushes was 42 million and obamas will cost a staggering 160 million dollars

dustin_P74, Jan 15, 2009
  10. sen5241b

Altohombre The Tennis Pro Reefer

glad 11 million goes to a speech and not hungry people. Couldn't he just do a telecast in the Oval office?

Altohombre, Jan 15, 2009
  11. sen5241b

cthegame

I agree with alto. I mean im all for obama but why do we need to make such a dramatic show about it? I hope that thin line between reality and mystical ideas will not rip and people dont make more of obama than what is really there.

cthegame, Jan 15, 2009
  12. sen5241b

dustin_P74

its a tradition that has always been done and will probably always be done

dustin_P74, Jan 15, 2009
  13. sen5241b

daugherty part time reefer

just shows how they spend our money

daugherty, Jan 15, 2009
  14. sen5241b

sen5241b

Its the first black American ever to become president and a lot of people want to be there. As far as the money goes, we live in an age of terrorism and this particular president-elect has gotten more than his share of death threats. Security cost money. I can't see canceling an age old tradition like the inauguration. You cancel this and then people want to start canceling other great American traditions.

sen5241b, Jan 15, 2009
  15. sen5241b

cthegame

I just dont think during these harsh times when everyone is broke and economy is crap, we dont need to spend so much to uphold a tradition, and i mean more than ever before just because he is black. We can still uphold it the way alto suggested. It will be cheaper & safer. Its a true waste of money IMO

cthegame, Jan 15, 2009
  16. sen5241b

Bifferwine I am a girl

I agree, to some degree. Yes, it's a shame that the government is spending so much money. But think of how much money this brings in to the area! It's probably going to be the biggest business boom for the DC area EVER. In spite of the awful economy, there is probably no better time to be a DC/Maryland/Northern VA business owner than now. Millions of people flocking to your area, and spending tons of cash in the process. I bet you anything that the local economy makes as much money off the inauguration as the government spends. Airlines are making money, hotels are making money, rental car places are making money, buses, subways, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Not to mention, the money that the government makes back from people buying tickets to things, spending money on memorabilia, patronizing other government institutions while they're in DC, etc.

Bifferwine, Jan 15, 2009
  17. sen5241b

dustin_P74

i have to agree with biff on this one, the money spent on this inauguration will pale in comparison to the money that the business' will make from the people attending and most of the money spent s going to security, and i think the reason that this one will cost so much is just because of the staggering number of people that will show up in dc to see this

dustin_P74, Jan 15, 2009
  18. sen5241b

sen5241b

You gotta wonder if some people are complaining about the money only because their guy didn't win the election --and I wasn't trying to get political with this thread but here we are.

The irony is that Washington DC is the last place that needs an economic stimulus. The DC economy is doing good considering all things. When the economy is bad the Feds don't stop spending money so DC has always weathered recessions better than other cities.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
    sen5241b, Jan 15, 2009
  19. sen5241b

Bifferwine I am a girl

You know just as much would have been spent had McCain won (well probably a little bit less, since he doesn't have white supremacist nutjobs placing a bounty on his head. So the goverment is OBLIGATED to spend that kind of money on security. If you don't like that, blame the wackos in this country). Like others have said, it's a tradition, independent of the party affiliation of the incoming president.

Bifferwine, Jan 15, 2009
  20. sen5241b

sen5241b

Of course as soon as the dirty bomb goes off DC will not being doing so well. (Without exception, terrorism experts have said its not a matter of 'if', its a matter of 'when'.)

sen5241b, Jan 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question