New (1 month) 10 Gallon Wall Mount

Kellie00

Reefing newb
Hi All - I am new to the saltwater hobby and wish to receive a few suggestions regarding my new 1 month set-up. I have a 10 gallon wall mounted tank with 10lbs of live rock, 20lbs fiji live sand, 1 clown, 9 blue legged hermits and 3 bumble bee snails. My tank has been cycled (this has been confirmed many times by our LFS). I also check my parameters daily and have had 2 people come out to test our set up and both have confirmed that water looks great and we are on the right track. I have been battling ich (temps at 82-84+ w/ich attack) with my clown for the past 1 1/2 weeks and have seen great progress. However, the ich does seem to linger.....but my clown appears and behaves healthly. He eats like crazy and is no longer hiding or lying on the sand.

I have attached photos for comments on our live rock placement. Our clown does not swim around actively and usually stays in a few spots and hovers (until feeding time). I know that clowns are unsual fish and can be quirky, but would like opinions if my live rock placement is not ideal for fish to swim around. I plan to get another clown in a week or so once the ich signs have passed.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Clown Fish.jpg
    Clown Fish.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,460
  • Wall Mount Tank.jpg
    Wall Mount Tank.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,496
First welcome to the site...second I love the tank and how you did the rock work. A couple of things...tank is running hot...I would think from being mounted higher on the wall but I could be wrong.I think you need to get some air flow on the tank...A fan hitting the water should bring the temp down. Clowns are as you said...unique. They pic a spot and thats there spot...no reason for the spot they pic. If you get a second clown make sure to get a bigger one or smaller...not same size or one will die...

oh my gosh, i love that tank. what brand is it? are you planning to add coral? maybe a shrimp or something else to add movement? also, you will probably want nassarius snails to keep the sand clean.

Hi, and welcome. I too think your tank temperature is too high. I like to keep mine right under 80. And once it is set the trick, with a 10 gallon, will be keeping it from changing. If you keep it from changing you will keep the fish from stressing out and if the fish aren't stressed they won't have ick...

Thank you for all your feedback and suggestions!!

I'll start with the temp first - Prior to the ich situation, I kept my tank around 78-80. However, since I've been treating the tank with ich attack, I have slowly raised the temp to 82-84. I have been treating for almost 2 weeks now and plan to begin lowering the temp again. What are you thoughts on the higher temp with ich attack...not necessary or a good idea??

I have listed the website where I purchase the tank. We really love the look of it, but understand that starting out with saltwater has been a challenge. It's only been one month and will continue to give it a go.

BAYSHORE AQUARIUM Wall Fish Tanks Manufacturer Direct & Wholesale

I don't believe that we have plans for coral at this time. Our current goal is to have fish that are healthly (no ich). I would like to get a few more snails for the algae and maybe a cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp. Later - MAYBE another clown or damsels.

QUESTION - we purchased a gravel cleaner for cleaning the live sand, but it was a pain and did not work for us. Just kicked up the sand and clouded the water. Any other suggestions for cleaning live sand?

Just leave it alone, you should instead get some creature that will care for the sand bed for you. I would get 10 Nass snails and they will do the job for you.

Welcome aboard!
That is a really cool tank! Glad to hear your clown is getting better! Clowns don't swim around as much as other fish. His behavior is probably normal. It sounds like you are on the right track. Nassarius snails are your best bet for your sandbed. Good luck getting rid of the ich. That is a bummer to deal with as a new hobbyist. Hang in there!

Back