New 10 gallon AIO Nano Reef

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
Hello and Welcome!

I have been wanting to build a reef in my 55 gallon tank but I don't enough cash to start it. I was talking and was offered a great deal by a member(bearwithfish) on another forum and thought why not. I wanted to get my feet wet and get used to SW.

I got a 10 gallon AIO tank that he made (Link to his thread: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aqu...-all-one-51284/ ) With ~4lb of Live rock and some starting live sand along with some chaeto algae, a heater, and a powerhead.

Right now I have a 1" sand bed, ~4 lb of LR, ~5-8 lb of base rock, and the chaeto(probably not the best idea since the tank got cloudy). The water I have is Petco real ocean water and will be Instant ocean water after the cycle and I make my own from RO/DI. Here are some pics of what it looks likefrom the start and I will be posting videos on my youtube channel hopefully every week either on Thursdays or Saturdays and whenever something new( YouTube - JSullyAquariums's Channel). And now for the whole reason people are on this thread...The pictures.

The whole tank(before water):
100_4128.jpg

The tank(without water):
100_4129.jpg

The water I used:
100_4132.jpg

Water is in:
100_4133.jpg

Chaeto and LR:
100_4130.jpg

With sand in(cloudy):
100_4135.jpg

Now the tank has cleared up here is my current structure. might change over time. Advice is greatly appreciated.
For a CUC I was thinking 2 Nassarius and maybe 1-2 Trochus(after cycle and diatom). And after that later on maybe 1-2 Sexy shrimp. Then for livestock
Fish: It was suggested by others a YWG and a Pistol Shrimp. Other ideas?
Corals: Zoas, Mushrooms, Palys, Whatever I can that strikes my eye lol.

Finally tested ammonia and was at .50 mg/L. Salinity at 1.0255 and will be brought down over time.

Now for what everyone that wil ever look at this thread actually wants Pictures...why not SCIENCE?!?!?! lol

FTS:
100_4164.jpg

Front Cave:
100_4160.jpg

Main structure cave:
100_4163.jpg

Better quality:
100_4162.jpg

Ammonia test:
100_4165.jpg

Sorry for size the next batch of pics will be fitting.

If you are planning on keeping corals you should actually aim to keep your SG at 1.025. Im no expert, but it looks like a good start!

Also the cheato is an excellent addition, it will help keep NO3 down. Dont worry it will survive the cloudy tank, and i think it will survive the cycle. That stuff is very hardy.

lastly, Welcome!

A few people on another forum just told me that the sexy shrimp might be eaten. Would scarlet cleaner shrimp not be eaten or killed by a pistol or YWG?

Thats a great start.
The cleaner shrimp are quiet a bit bigger,so pistols tend to leave them alone.The sexies are so small,that IS a chance they MIGHT become food.50/50 shot on that one.

This might be a dumb question, what is all the stuff in the back of the tank? Is this what AIO means? Can you explan what is happening back there and how it works? Thanks I really like those caves. Great start.

This might be a dumb question, what is all the stuff in the back of the tank? Is this what AIO means? Can you explan what is happening back there and how it works? Thanks I really like those caves. Great start.

Not a dumb question at al! Infact When they guy told me he had an AIO I had to ask him what that meant! :lol: It means All In One so the thing in the back is the sump, It has a media basket, fuge, and a return/heater area. All in the back of the tank. In the back there is chaeto algae and some filter floss to clear the tank up.

Updates!
Actinics on:
100_4170.jpg

Actinics off:
100_4172.jpg

Close ups:
100_4173.jpg

100_4174.jpg

Param sheet:
Paramsheetsforphoto.jpg

How does the water flow through the fug? Looks like on the left there is an "overflow", but I can't see how it would get back to the tank. The caves look even better now that it has cleared up alot more. What kind of light are you running?

Everything looks great. It's a nice little setup there.

It looks like there is a return pump on the right side, if I'm not mistaken.

Well the flow from the back is from a maxi jet 400 with only the end shwoing because it fits through a hole in the back. Vey small and out of the way.

Thanks the rocks do look nice and I moved them around a bit to my likeing.

I have a 48" high output T5 system with 2x Daylight bulbs 2x actinics and moon LEDs very nice but cheap system and I am getting the same verson but amaller length for the tank soon.

Updates!
The tank had the spike and I am going to do a water change tomorrow to get the nitrites and ates down. Just waiting for a diatom bloom to add a CUC. Added my Maxi Jet 600 for extra current. Beat a cyano problem. Waiting for coraline to grow and make my tank look better.
My water is cloudy a bit because I spent 2 days fiddling with the aquascape. Can't wait to start building it up.
Ammonia: .25ppm, pH: 7.8-8.0, Nitrite: .25ppm
Pics!
Actinics off:
100_4194.jpg

100_4195.jpg

100_4196.jpg

Actinics on:
100_4198.jpg

100_4199.jpg

100_4200.jpg

Wasn't quick enough to edit so here is my video that took me awhile to make. But better then the last.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kk-5CxDgHM]YouTube - Waiting for the Diatom(Day 14 10 Gallon AIO)[/ame]

Ok it has been awhile since i have posted anything for my tank... but I have some photos and a cool youtube video. I have been really busy(Getting a new computer tomorrow isn't gonna help lol) but next chance I get I will get a small CUC of Ceriths and Nerites...maybe 3 of each? I have yet to do a real water change but I have changed some water to get to the right Specific gravity and water level. I will do a real WC before I get the CUC hopefully.
Anyways here are some pics and the youtube video:
Video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXlLLF35hm4]YouTube - 10 Gallon AIO Nano Reef Days 1-29 Slideshow[/ame]
100_4305.jpg

100_4311.jpg

100_4312.jpg

100_4313.jpg

100_4314.jpg

Back