New 10g nano.

paku

Reefing newb
Heya all,
After allot of research and debate i have decided to go with a 10g nano. Currently it is still cycling (only 4 days old). I don't have my lights yet, but I plan to get a 20" 80w 50/50. It is cycling with a 20w 50/50 power compact atm.

Base rock: 3lbs
Live rock: 10-12 lbs of newly shipped Caribbean un cured.
Live sand: 20lbs

Stocking plans:
1-2 True Percs (tank bred) Would a pair of Percs be ok in a 10g?
or
1 True Perc (tank bred)
Watchman goby / Pistol combo

Altho I dont think I will go with the Pistol combo now b/c my sand bed is only 2-3" at random places. If i did go with a pair of Percs (my gf wants them) Do you think a small goby would be overkill?

Both of those list would include a Peppermint Shrimp and of course cleanup crew.

I am not sure yet on what corals I will go with. Still doing research on them. I love Zoas and my gf likes Leathers so no prob with the lighting I want yet.

Bad Hitchikers found on day one include:
1 Mantis Shrimp (1") Scary little bugger that attacked my tongs, very strong for being so small.
2 little hairy crabs (Gorrila I think from browsing thru the threads)
1 small Welk

All have been removed. Bermuda didnt want the Mantis, and my GF said no more tanks... (have 4 already)

Full tank shot on 3rd day of cycling.
10gnanofrontnew.jpg

The current king of the tank. Jewel Box clam that came w/ the LR. This pic was before the aquascaping, you can see him on top of the rocks in the first shot. He seems to like the flow and is always open.

10gnanoclam.jpg

Question about the cycle... I have been doing 50% water changes when the ammonia passes 1.0ppm. Allot of people from Reef Central have advised against waterchanges at all untill it cycles naturally. I am worried tho about all my little hitchhikers and some coral that I found on the LR. Also when i left the ammonia to spike for almost 2 days the coraline started to bleach out a little so I did another change.. Any tips? How should I cycle? Water changes or not?

Oh a little info on the setup, It is a AC110 refuge mod w/ heather and 18w light.
I think this creates enough flow so far, I havent found any dead spots yet. The fuge has some macro algae and some sump mud from bermuda's sump.

Sounds like you have done your research and have a good clue whats going on.

If you got LR you really shouldn't see to much of a Cycle as bermuda usually cures it pretty well. I think the water changes will be ok.

As it relates to adding the clowns and the goby... If you have a fuge and you add a good skimmer that shouldn't be a problem at all, as long as you don't add them all at once.

Great looking setup. Keep us posted. I can't help with leathers, but if you decide to go the zoas route I could help get you started with a few frags.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Brandon

bkv1997 said:
Sounds like you have done your research and have a good clue whats going on.

If you got LR you really shouldn't see to much of a Cycle as bermuda usually cures it pretty well. I think the water changes will be ok.

Thanks for the reply, I got this LR the same day it came into the LFS, so its prety much uncured from the shipping, but I hope your right and it cycles soon, I cant wait to get some snails and a shrimp in there.

By LFS do you mean (Bermuda)?

Also I would recommend you adding your fish, perhaps the clown first as they are not as sensitive to ammonia/nitrates as your inverts(snails, shrimp, etc).

BTW we would love to meet you at future meetings.

Hope to see you around
Brandon

hey paku, looks great. it looks like youve done alot of research and are on the right trac. I would continue the water changes, but not very big changes. less quantity with more frequency is always better. but the cycle should be pretty quick with amount of live rock and other additions youve made. keeping a pair of clowns and a goby shouldnt be any trouble, just dont add them at the same time. you may want to add the goby first, then the clowns. if the clowns are added first they are liable to get territorial and pick on th goby if you add him last. simply cause its such a small tank.
Ive got a 10 gallon nano running with a pygmy angel and a high fin red banded goby and they are very happy. you could add a few corals and be ok, but if you get to much corals and fish youll have to find a way of skimming the tank.
It sounds like you are doing everything properly and being patient, so you will do great.
You should come to the october meeting, there will be alot of great advice there, and free food. if you have kids bring them, were having a hayride and cooking over a fire!

Sounds like you have really done your homework and are going about things the correct way. Main rule to remember is patience. You are getting very good advice already so I won't try to add my .02 . When you start adding corals I could hook you up with a spaghetti leather frag if you would like it. Hope you can make it to one of our meetings.

Everything is looking good in your new tank.A clown pair and some kind of gobie should be fine with the way you are setting this up.The guys here in your area are pretty helpful and might get you a frag or two.

Thanks all for the replies. I will go ahead and plan on a pair of tank bred percs and a goby. I think i might be in the market for some sort of nano skimmer. Somthing small enough to either *** on the the ac300/110 Mod or the 3-4 inches left on the back of the 10g. Any good suggestions for a nano skimmer HOB that is decent?

Also once the tank cycles 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites. I should go ahead and add the goby first or my cleanup crew? The pair of percs will be added later on. Maybe when i have a few nice host selections for them that have been established.

I am def looking into making the next meeting.

AquaC Nano Skimmer - With Maxijet 900 Pump: Premium Aquatics

Not sure about the nano version as it just came out and I don't know anyone that personally has one, but the regular version version of this skimmer is probably the best Hand on the Back skimmer.

Good luck. BTW there is a guy that sells tank raised percs in knoxville that are by extremely healthy and have great color. Just to clear that up he actually raises them himself it isn't a Petstore. Let me know if your interested and i'll get him to PM you.

If I were to ever get anymore clowns I would get them from him.

Brandon

I agree with brandon on the skimmer and the clowns. they are some of the best looking clowns ive seen. and very affordable.

Yes I would be interested in the Clowns, my tank wont be ready for them for awhile tho.

Also:

UPDATE and ID's please!

New FTS. 5 days cycling.
10g0926front.jpg

Jewel box clam (I think) Smiling in his new home.
10g0926clamsmile.jpg

I got this out of the "crap" $4 a lbs LR section at my LFS and just threw it in. I didnt know what it was but it seems to be comming back to life. Anyone know? Maybe a dead Candy Cane comming back? Also it has allot of new polyps growing on it.. i dunno if its a diffrent coral or not.

10g0926CC.jpg

This was on the good rock. Very bleached out but seems to be making a comback. Star coral? Anyone know?

10g0926star.jpg

Also a lone survivor from this colony on a piece of LR... What is it?

10g0926survivor.jpg

Yellow Sponge?

10g0926ysponge.jpg

looks like youve got alot of life! the clams arnt uncommon, but are hard to keep alive. they are heavy filter feeders and usually dont get the nutrients they need to survive. the half dead coral looks like a neon green candy cane, with some button or wolf polyps on it. maybe it will come back! looks good

I agree with bryan on the first two.

The next to last one is a non-photosynetic Stony coral that I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but did some research when I first got my live rock... you will need to feed it meaty foods (Brine, Mysis, etc) if you want to keep it alive, but they grow slow and usually don't make it in the home aquarium.

The last one is yellow sponge
Melevsreef.com - Yellow Sponge

Hope this helps and your tank is looking great.
Brandon

Back