New 180g Build

So here's what's new with the tank. It's driving me crazy. My fish will barely go into the other half of my tank. And I figured it out finally..(This is gonna sound crazy)

I've got a 48" MH Coralife light that I used on my 90g, along with some T5's. Well, about a month or 2 ago, I changed one of the bulbs. So I'm running a 10k bulb on the left and a 15k bulb on the right. I wanted a little more blue in the tank.

Bottom line, my fish don't like the 15k bulb...Here's what I did. I kept the 10k on the left side of the tank, all of the fish stayed in that 1/2 of the tank. Left it like that for a week. Started to get suspicous, completely reconfigured my electrical and turned my light around so the 10k bulb was on the right side of the tank. Sure enough, the fish immediately went to the right side of the tank. left it like that for a few days, switched it back to the left side, decided to start feeding from the other side of the tank, (I thought if they think that's where the food is coming from they'll go over there) Nope, they actually waited until the powerheads blew the food to the other sid of the tank. Every fish..

Gonna finish the experiment this weekend, by taking my old 10k bulb that I removed and replace the 15k and see what happens...Frigging weirdo fish.

Attachments

• fishcorner2.jpg
    fishcorner2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Fishcorner.jpg
    Fishcorner.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 253
Awesome start here! nice to see an in wall tank. are you going to be putting trim on the drywall to make it a little more streamlined? I have alwyays wanted an in wall and when I was buying my house and looking for houses i looked really hard to find a house that I could build an in wall and have a fish room but I could never find one that really worked with the rest of the house :(

The location that my tank is in now would have been perfect for an in-wall build, but unfortunately, I didn't think of it at the time!! I am kicking myself over that one!

So here's what's new with the tank. It's driving me crazy. My fish will barely go into the other half of my tank. And I figured it out finally..(This is gonna sound crazy)

I've got a 48" MH Coralife light that I used on my 90g, along with some T5's. Well, about a month or 2 ago, I changed one of the bulbs. So I'm running a 10k bulb on the left and a 15k bulb on the right. I wanted a little more blue in the tank.

Bottom line, my fish don't like the 15k bulb...Here's what I did. I kept the 10k on the left side of the tank, all of the fish stayed in that 1/2 of the tank. Left it like that for a week. Started to get suspicous, completely reconfigured my electrical and turned my light around so the 10k bulb was on the right side of the tank. Sure enough, the fish immediately went to the right side of the tank. left it like that for a few days, switched it back to the left side, decided to start feeding from the other side of the tank, (I thought if they think that's where the food is coming from they'll go over there) Nope, they actually waited until the powerheads blew the food to the other sid of the tank. Every fish..

Gonna finish the experiment this weekend, by taking my old 10k bulb that I removed and replace the 15k and see what happens...Frigging weirdo fish.

My logic can no longer be denied...My fish obviously like a 10k bulb over a 15k..I swapped the 15k bulb last night after lights out, installed the 10k. When I turned them on this morning, the fish are swimming the enitre length of the tank, and the sailfin and foxface seem to be setting up shop on the right side..

So here's my conclusion...my fish tolerate 15k bulbs, they like 10k bulbs..maybe it's because they're a bit more yellow, and the water tends to shimmer a bit more because of it, maybe the 10k mirrors actual sunlight a bit more than 15k...I don't know. All I know is they're now using the entire tank. almost immediately.

Attachments

• rightside4.jpg
    rightside4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 264
  • rightside3.jpg
    rightside3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 260
  • rightside2.jpg
    rightside2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 265
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 277
Picked up a torch finally...I've wanted one for a long time. Took a few pics of some other stuff as well.

Attachments

• new torch.jpg
    new torch.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 248
  • torch.jpg
    torch.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 279
  • zoafrag.jpg
    zoafrag.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 291
Here's one more of the ugliest thing in my tank. Finger leather...this thing has tripled in size in a matter of about 3 months.

Attachments

• Leather.jpg
    Leather.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 304
Most of you know I picked up a little shark nose goby the other day, thought I'd send a pic...My yellow Tang loves this little guy, and I think the feeling is mutual:heartpump:D

The goby will hop aboard the Yellow Tang Express all the time. Every once in awhile he'll stray and clean the sailfin...But you can see the Yellow Tang just loves him..

The tang will swim over and turn a little sideways and wait for the goby to jump on. It's really fun to watch..But the goby doesn't always cooperate so the Tang will swim away and come right back and try again.

Attachments

• Tangngoby.jpg
    Tangngoby.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 278
Back